25 Winter Surprise
驚喜在冬季
I live in a boarding-house during the school year.
我讀書時住在一棟寄宿公寓,
My room is rather large, but I share it with another boarder.
房間頗大,但我得跟另一個寄宿者合住。
It's already November, but the autumn flowers are still in bloom.
已是深秋十一月,但花兒依然盛開。
Just yesterday, I saw some lovely red blossoms along the roadside.
就在昨天,我還在路旁看到了幾朵美麗的紅花。
These blessed flowers were perfect.
這些賞心悅目的花兒真美,
They didn't have a single blemish.
它們沒有一處瑕疵。
Seeing these flowers in the fall created a feeling of bliss.
能在秋天看到這些花兒讓我一陣狂喜,
I had no idea that it would be the last I'd see of them.
我并不知道這將是我最后一次看到他們。
Yesterday, my roommate had told me that there would be a blizzard today.
昨天,我的室友告訴我今天會有暴風雪。
He's always boasting that he knows the weather.
他總是吹牛,說自己能預知天氣。
I though it was just a bluff to get me to stay home from school.
我想這不過是虛張聲勢,想讓我逃課。
I was rather blunt in my reply.
我的回答相當直言不諱。
However, I blushed when I looked out of the window this morning and saw that he was right.
然而,今天早晨我朝窗外望去,不禁臉紅了:他居然說準了。
I had to blink my eyes several times just to be sure.
我使勁眨了幾下眼睛,才確信沒有弄錯。
An overnight storm had bleached the ground with seventeen inches of snow.
一夜的風雪把大地給漂白了,地上的積雪深達17英寸。
Because the roads were blocked by the snowfall, I wouldn't be able to board my usual bus to school.
由于下雪,道路被阻斷,我也沒法乘班車上學了,
My outlook seemed rather bleak.
前景慘淡。
Then my roommate said, “Hey, you really need to take a break from your studies.
這時我的室友說道:“喂,你真該歇歇了,別老是學習。
Why don't you just rest your brain, blend some fruit drinks, and listen to blues music?”
你干嘛不休息一下大腦、調點果汁、聽點藍調音樂呢?”
“It's true, I'm probably in need of a rest, ” I replied.
“是啊,我也許需要休息一下了?!蔽一卮鸬?。
Well, it turned out to be the most relaxing day I've had all year.
這樣,我度過了一年中最放松的一天。
I guess the sudden storm was really a blessing in disguise!
我猜這場突然的暴風雪貌似災禍,實則是福啊!