迷你對話:
A:Please tell us the exact time when the big fire broke out.
請告訴我們大火發生的確切時間
。B:The exact time? Let me think. You know, it happened at night.
確切時間?讓我想一想
。你知道,火災是晚上發生的 。A:But we need the exact time. What time?
但我們需要具體時間,那是幾點鐘
。B:Oh, I remember. It was about 10 o'clock. When I was about to go to bed, suddenly I heard "help" outside.
噢,我想起來了
。那時大約10點鐘 。當我正準備上床睡覺時,突然聽到門外有人喊“救命” 。地道表達:
break out
小編講解:
突發的事件常令人措手不及,而突然出現在臉上,身上的東西也會叫人不知如何是好,出現在臉上的一般是指青春痘或是紅疹之類的,它們通常是生活失常或緊張的情緒下產生的
。短語break out包括的范圍有兩種:一種是指“突發的戰爭,爭論,打架等”,另一種則是指“突然出現的青春痘等” 。支持范例:
Eg.He predicted that war would break out in the next few years.
他預言戰爭將在下幾年中爆發
。Eg.A huge forest fire broke out after the lightning struck.
閃電打下來之后,突然引起一場森林大火
。Eg.I break out in a rash if I eat chocolate.
我一吃巧克力, 就出皮疹
。Eg.The thought made him break out in a cold sweat.
這么一想,他轟的一下冒了汗!
Eg.This made me break out in a cold sweat.
這嚇得我出了一身冷汗
。詞海拾貝:
1.be about to do something:正準備去做某事
Eg.She was about to dish up when some guests came.
她剛要上菜開飯,這時來了一些客人
。Eg.As she was about to speak, I frowned her down.
她剛要開口,我就皺皺眉示意她別出聲
。2.at night:在深夜
Eg.He warned me against going there at night.
他警告我晚上不要到那去
。Eg.They decided to attack at night.
他們決定夜晚進攻
。Eg.It is a bad habit to sit up late at night.
熬夜是個壞習慣
。3.go to bed:去睡覺,就寢
Eg.I shall have a hot bath and go to bed.
我要去洗個熱水澡,然后睡覺
。Eg.There is nothing to do, so I may as well go to bed.
沒什么事可做,我還是上床睡覺好了
。4.exact time:確切時間
5.big fire:大火
特別申明:該節目迷你對話選自口語書籍,其余講解部分均為可可原創,未經授權許可請勿轉載
。