Welcome to English in a minute.
歡迎來到《一分鐘英語》欄目!
When people are "bluffing", are they telling the truth?
當人們詐唬時,他們是在說實話嗎?
Let's listen: Call Someone's Bluff
讓我們一起聽一下:揭穿某人的謊言
Oh, yeah. I have the winning hand right here.
噢耶,我現在有一手贏牌了。
I don't believe you. I'm calling your bluff!
我不相信你。我要拆穿你的謊言!
Ok, you're right. I only have low cards. I was bluffing. You win!
好吧,你是對的,我只有差牌。我在詐唬。你贏了。
Calling someone's bluff comes from poker, a card game.
揭穿某人的謊言這個短語來源于撲克牌。
A player who is bluffing pretends to have the winning cards when he really does not.
一位玩家虛張聲勢,假裝有好牌,而實際上他并沒有。
Calling someone's bluff means you want a person to tell the truth about something.
拆穿某人的謊言的意思是你想讓別人說出某事的實情。
People bluff about serious and not-so-serious things.
人們會對嚴肅或不那么嚴肅的事虛張聲勢。
So next time, you can call their bluff.
所以下次,你可以揭穿他們的謊言。
And that's English in a minute.
以上就是今天的《一分鐘英語》欄目!