William: Hello and welcome to the English We Speak, I'm William Kremer.
威廉:大家好,歡迎收聽地道英語節目,我是威廉·克萊默。
Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li.
楊莉:我是楊莉。
William: Li, are you wearing make-up?
威廉:莉,你化妝了嗎?
Yang Li: Yes, do you like it? It's not too much?
楊莉:是啊,你喜歡嗎?不會太濃吧?
William: I think you look sick.
威廉:我覺得你看起來很酷。
Yang Li: What?
楊莉:什么?
William: Sick!
威廉:很酷!
Yang Li: But I feel fine. I'm perfectly healthy.
楊莉:可是我感覺很好。我非常健康。
William: No, you don't look ill Li, you look sick!
威廉:不,莉,你看上去并不像生病,你看起來很酷!
Yang Li: Sorry I just don't get it. I'm not ill!
楊莉:抱歉,我沒明白。我沒有生病!
William: Sorry Li, I should explain. It's our expression for the day. Lots of young people in the UK use the word sick to mean cool or great.
威廉:很抱歉,莉,我來解釋一下。這是我們今天要學的表達方式。英國有許多年輕人用sick這個詞來表達酷或是很棒的意思。
Yang Li: English can be weird can't it? Sick means cool?
楊莉:英語很奇怪,不是嗎?sick竟然有酷的意思!
William: Yes, it is a bit odd. I know one teacher who was confused by this word when his student used it in a class.
威廉:對,是有點奇怪。我知道有一個老師,他的學生在課堂上使用這個詞的時候他非常困惑。
Yang Li: Really? What did they say?
楊莉:真的嗎?他們是怎么說的?
William: Something like this:
威廉:就像這樣:
Student: Mr Griffiths!
學生:格里菲斯先生!
Teacher: Yes?
老師:什么事?
Student: Sir, are you wearing new shoes?
學生:先生,您穿了新鞋嗎?
Teacher: Yes, I am. Why?
老師:是啊。怎么了?
Student: Because they are sick!
學生:它們好酷啊!
Teacher: Sick?
老師:糟糕?
Student: Totally sick, sir.
學生:先生,非常酷。
Teacher: Well, young man. As you find them so terrible, how about you give me 100 lines saying… saying…
老師:嗯,年輕人。既然你覺得它們很糟糕,那你給我抄寫一百遍怎么樣……
Student: No, no, I like them! Sick means cool!
學生:不,不是,我很喜歡這雙鞋!sick的意思是很酷!
Teacher: First I've heard of it.
老師:我是第一次聽到這種說法。
Yang Li: Lines. Lines are a form of punishment which teachers used to give students–copying out the same sentence again and again. You never had to write lines, did you William?
楊莉:罰抄。罰抄是老師用來懲罰學生的一種方法,讓學生一遍又一遍地抄寫同一個句子。威廉,你從來沒被罰抄過,是吧?
William: Erm... Maybe I won't go into that here!
威廉:額……在這里我就不多說了。
Yang Li: So anyway, what do I say if I really am sick?
楊莉:不管怎么樣,要是我想說我病了要怎么說呢?
William: I'm feeling sick. Or I'm feeling ill.
威廉:我感覺不舒服。或者說我感覺好像生病了。
Yang Li: So we can work it out from the context.
楊莉:所以我們可以通過上下文進行理解。
William: Exactly, that's it. Anyway, like I was saying I love the make-up Li. But maybe next time don't wear green eye-shadow.
威廉:沒錯。就是這樣。不管怎樣,就像我剛剛說的,莉,我喜歡你今天的化妝。不過下次不要畫綠色眼影了。
Yang Li: Why?
楊莉:為什么?
William: It makes you look, erm sick.
威廉:那讓你看上去像生病了。
Yang Li: Oh, I give up. Bye.
楊莉:哦,我放棄了。再見。
William: Bye.
威廉:再見。