Will: Hello! I'm Will. It's Friday night-time to have fun! This is the Burning Swan-my favourite pub. I'm just waiting for Li. Oh there she is. My goodness! What is she wearing this time?
威爾:大家好!我是威爾。 現在是周五晚上,是享受快樂的時間!這里是我最喜歡的酒吧Burning Swan。我正在等李。她來了。我的天啊!她今天穿的是什么?
Li: Hi Will.
李:你好,威爾。
Will: Hi Li! Nice... blue overalls!
威爾:你好,李!你的藍色工裝褲……很漂亮!
Li: Thank you, these are new overalls, I bought them especially for tonight.
李:謝謝你,這是我新買的工裝褲,我特意為今晚的活動買的。
Will: Right. Okay. Li, I don't really follow fashion, but in London at least, denim overalls are really just for builders and painters and carpenters.
威爾:好吧。李,我其實不太追隨時尚,但是至少在倫敦,棉布工裝褲是建筑工、粉刷工人和木匠才會穿的。
Li: Yes! Right, where do we start, Will?
李:是啊!威爾,我們從哪里開始呢?
Will: Eh? What? What are you doing?
威爾:啊?什么?你要做什么?
Li: It's definitely very dull in here.
李:這里簡直太單調了。
Will: Why have you got a can of paint?
威爾:你為什么拿著一罐油漆?
Li: That wall especially. Shall we?
李:那面墻尤其單調。我們從那里開始好嗎?
Will: Li? What are you doing? She's finally gone mad. Li!
威爾:李?你到底要做什么?她完全瘋了。李!
Li: What's the matter?
李:怎么了?
Will: Look, you can't just walk into places and start repainting their walls! Don't! I love that brown colour!
威爾:你看,你不能走進一些地方,然后就開始為那里的墻重新刷漆!不能這么做!我喜歡那個棕色!
Li: Didn't you want it to be red?
李:你不是想讓它變成紅色的嗎?
Will: No! No-one wants it to be red!
威爾:不想!沒有人希望那面墻是紅色的!
Li: But you said that tonight we'd paint the town red-starting with this pub!
李:可是你說今晚我們要把城市漆成紅色,就從這間酒吧開始!
Will: It's an expression!
威爾:那是一個表達方式!
Li: Not again!
李:不是吧!
Will: It means that we'll go out and have a really exciting, crazy time. We'll paint the town red-it just means we'll have fun, not actually paint things. Let's listen to some examples.
威爾:這個短語的意思是我們要出去玩,度過非常刺激又瘋狂的時光。我們要把城鎮染紅,其實這句話的意思是我們要出去玩樂,而不是實際去刷漆。我們來聽一些例子。
It's my daughter's birthday today. She's gone out with her friends. I expect they'll paint the town red!
今天是我女兒的生日。她和朋友們出去玩了。我希望他們能玩得痛快!
Go on, come out with me tonight, let's paint the town red!
來吧,今晚和我出去玩吧,我們去狂歡吧!
We had a crazy night on Saturday, we painted the town red.
周六我們度過了一個瘋狂的夜晚,我們玩得特別盡興。
Li: So now, Will, tell me about all this crazy fun we're meant to have. What's your idea of painting the town red?
李:現在,威爾,跟我說說我們要怎么作樂吧。你要怎么狂歡?
Will: Well we drink, we dance, we laugh loudly, we meet people, we stay up all night.
威爾:我們喝酒、跳舞、大聲歡笑,見各種人,整晚不睡。
Li: Hmm. I'd still rather just paint. Let's just do this one wall.
李:嗯。我寧愿刷漆。我們就刷這一面墻。
Will: No, Li, stop, stop we'll get arrested.
威爾:不要,李,停下來,停下來,我們會被捕的。
Li: Isn't that colour so much better?
李:這個顏色更好看,不是嗎?
Will: No! No! Look, stop it! You'll ruin our night out!
威爾:不,不要!快停下來!你會毀了我們的夜晚的!
Li: It's beautiful!
李:多漂亮啊!
Will: Li! Stop!
威爾:李!停下來!