Jen: Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Jennifer, and with me in the studio is... yawn... Helen.
珍:大家好,歡迎來到我們說的英語節目。我是珍妮弗,今天我們演播室請到的嘉賓是……啊……海倫。
Helen: Hi Jen... are you a bit tired?
海倫:珍,你好……你是不是有點累?
Jen: Oh yes, I really am. I've been here since seven this morning - I think I'm ready to call it a day now.
珍:對,我確實很累。我從早上七點開始就一直在這里工作,我想現在我準備好要結束工作回家了。
Helen: What do you want to call it? Monday? Tuesday?
海倫:你想給日子起什么名字?周一?周二?
Jen: Oh no, I don't mean...
珍:不是,我不是那個意思……
Helen: How about Saturday? That's my favourite day. Or we could call it a new day altogether. What about Cake-day! Or Coffee-day.
海倫:周六怎么樣?那是我最喜歡的日子。或者我們可以起個全新的名字。蛋糕日怎么樣?或者叫咖啡日。
Jen: I don't want to rename the day. In English, if you're ready to call it a day, it means that you want to finish whatever you're doing-and usually go home.
珍:我并不想給日期重命名。在英語中,這個短語的意思是你想結束你正在做的事情,通常是指準備回家。
Helen: So you want to call it a day now? We haven't finished the programme yet.
海倫:所以你現在想結束工作回家了嗎?我們的節目還沒結束呢。
Jen: That's true. In that case, let's hear some examples of the phrase in action.
珍:沒錯。既然是這樣,我們來看看應用這個短語的其他例子。
We're getting nowhere with this–shall we call it a day and start again tomorrow?
我們沒有什么進展,我們今天要不要先結束,明天再開始做?
I'm getting picked up from work at five, so I think I'd better call it a day.
我五點就開始工作了,所以我想我最好結束工作回家去。
Helen: I see... so if you call it a day, you decide that it's time to finish the work you're doing.
海倫:我明白了……如果你說call it a day,意思是你決定現在是結束正在做的工作的時間了。
Jen: That's right, so let's call it a day right now.
珍:沒錯,所以我們現在結束工作吧。
Helen: Alright then. Do you fancy a quick drink after work?
海倫:好的。下班后你想不想去喝一杯?
Jen: Well, I'm feeling pretty tired, but I suppose I could come out for one drink.
珍:嗯,我覺得非常的累,不過我想我可以出去喝杯酒。
Helen: Let's go then!
海倫:那我們就走吧!
Voice: Some time later...
話外音:一段時間之后……
(Nightclub music)
(夜店音樂)
Helen: Jen, look at the time-we've been here seven hours!
海倫:珍,看看時間,我們來這里已經7個小時了!
Jen: I know! I don't know where the evening went. It's probably time to call it a night.
珍:我知道!可是我不知道晚上的時間都去哪里了。我想我們今晚可能就到此為止了。
Helen: I thought the phrase was 'call it a day'?
海倫:我想短語是call it a day吧?
Jen: We can also say 'call it a night' if you've been somewhere in the evening and you know it's time to go home.
珍:我們也可以說call it a night,如果你在晚上去了某個地方,而你意識到是該回家的時候了就可以用這個短語。
Helen: Well, I definitely think that you need to call it a night, then. Although look...
海倫:嗯,我當然認為你今晚需要到此結束。雖然看起來……
Jen: What?
珍:什么?
Helen: The sun is coming up already. We've been out on the town all night. Perhaps we should call it a day instead?
海倫:太陽已經升起來了。我們已經玩了一整晚了。也許我們應該回家了吧?
Jen: That means it's nearly time for work again! Can I call in sick, please?
珍:意思是又要到上班的時間了!請問我能打電話請病假嗎?