新英語900句視頻版 第36課:比賽 文本如下:
LESSON 1
第1課
Joana and Mrs. Farias are in the kitchen talking.
(喬安娜和菲里亞斯夫人在廚房談話)
MRS. FARIAS: When is Michael coming to pick up?
米其爾什么時候來接你?
JOANA: He said seven. [The door bell ring.] Would you get the door please, Mama? [Mrs. Fanas goes to the door and opens it.]
他說七點鐘。[門鈴響了]媽媽,您幫我開一下門好嗎?[菲里亞斯夫人走去把門打開]
MRS.FARIAS: Hello, Micheal. How are you?
噢,米其爾,你好?
MICHAEL: Fine, thank you, Mrs. Farias. And you?
好,謝謝您,菲里亞斯太太。您好嗎?
MRS.FARIAS: Well, as a matter of fact, I'm not feeling very well today.
好!不過說實在的,今天我有些不舒服。
MICHAEL: What's the matter?
怎么了?
MRS. FARIAS: Oh, I'm sure that it's nothing serious. Joana, Michael's here! [Joana enters]
噢,沒什么大不了的。喬安娜,米其爾來了![喬安娜進屋來]
JOANA: Hi, Michael.
你好,米其爾!
MICHAEL: Hi, you look great!
你好!看起來你挺高興。
JOANA: Thank you.
謝謝!
MRS. FARIAS: Will you two please excuse me? I have some things to do in the kitchen.
你們倆聊吧,我要到廚房去干點活。
MICHAEL: Certainly. [to Joana ] What's up?
您請便![對喬安娜]什么事那么高興。
JOANA: I have some exciting news.
我有些激動人心的消息。
MICHAEL: What is it? I hope you aren't going back home.
什么消息?我可不希望是你準備回老家的消息。
JOANA: No.Right now I can't think of any place I'd rather be than here. But ...
不是。我不能馬上想出什么地方比這里更好。不過……
MICHAEL: What is it, then?不過什么?
說下去。
JOANA: How would you like to go to Brazil for two years?
去巴西呆兩年你覺得怎么樣?
LESSON 2
第2課
MICHAEL: What? How? With whom?什么?
怎么去?和誰一起去?
JOANA: The Brazilian Pavilion is holding an art competition. The person who wins gets a grant to study and paint anywhere in Brazil.
世界博覽會的巴西館正在舉辦美術大賽,獲勝者將得到獎學金,到巴西的任何地方學習和繪畫。
MICHAEL: Really? How do you apply?
真的?那怎么辦呢?
JOANA: All you have to do is submit a painting to the Brazilian Pavilion by December 1. You'll love Brazil. I'll show you all the sights. We'll have a wonderful time.
你所要干的就是在12月1日以前必須交巴西館一幅畫。你會愛上巴西的。我可以領你看巴西所有的風景名勝。我們將有一段美好的時光。
MICHAEL: Hold on. I can enter. That doesn't mean I'll win.
說干就干,我可以參加。但這并不等于我能取勝。
JOANA: Michael, no one else has a chance!
米其爾,沒人能有這個機會!
MICHAEL: Oh, come on.
噢,得啦。
JOANA: No, really. Name one modern artist whose pain tings are better than yours? Name one artist whose paintings the judges could possibly like more than yours.
不,真的,盡管現代畫家的作品比你的要好。但裁判們也許更喜歡你的畫。
MICHAEL: It's nice to have someone who believes in you. Too bad you're not one of the judges.
有人信任你這的確很好。糟糕的是你并不是這次比賽的裁判。
JOANA: Which picture are you going to send in?
你打算畫哪張畫?
MICHAEL: I don't know. I'll have to do something new-something totally new--something spectacular.
我不知道。我得畫幾張新的——全新的——能夠吸引人的作品。