Dialogue 4
Adam,I'm sorry!
亞當,對不起。
But where have you been,Alice?You're over an hour late.
愛麗思,你到哪里去了?你遲到超過一個小時了。
Yes,but I couldn't help it.I was late getting off work for a start,
是的,但我身不由己。一開始我就遲下班,
and then I missed the bus.The bus I did catch got caught in a traffic jam.
然后錯過了公共汽車。我后來坐上的公共汽車又遇到了交通堵塞。
It was one thing after another.
倒霉事真是接踵而來。
But why were you getting off work so late?
那你為什么遲了下班呢?
The office close at six,doesn't it?
辦公室六點關門,對嗎?
Yes,but there's a rush on at the moment,
是的,但那時有點急事,
and my boss asked me to do some urgent letters.
我的老板要我處理一些緊急的信件。
But didn't you tell him you had an appointment?
但你為什么不告訴他你有個約會呢?
Well,no.I thought I'd finish in about five minutes
哦,我沒有。我以為我能在五分鐘內完成它,
and I didn't want to be difficult about just a few minutes.
我不想在僅僅幾分鐘的事情斤斤計較。
If it hadn't been for missing the bus and the traffic,
如果沒有錯過公共汽車和遇到交通堵塞,
I wouldn't have been so late.I'm sorry.
我不會那么晚的。
Well,you're here.And that's the main thing.
嗯,你已經在這里了。這才是最重要的。