I was confused with my first assignment, and didn't hand it in on time.
我對進入大學的第一次作業并不是很會,而且沒能按時上交給老師。
I bombed the test that same week. I started to study harder so I wouldn't fall behind.
就在同一個星期我考試也沒及格。所以為了不落后,我開始更努力地學習。
Eventually, I met with an advisor, who really helped me. By my junior year, I was doing well.
后來,我遇見了一位指導員,他幫了我很多。到大三的時候,我的表現就很好了。
Okay, so take a moment. I'll read it one more time so you can check your answers.
好了,我會再讀一遍,所以你們抓緊時間檢查一下答案。
You can put a check if you hear any of these words.
如果你聽到了這其中任何一個單詞,都請打個勾。
I went to the University of Toronto. I remember when I was an undergrad, I found school very difficult, especially in my freshman year.
我是在多倫多大學上的學。我還記得我讀大學的時候,覺得在學校的一切都很困難,尤其是大一那年。
I guess the main problem was it was my first time away from home.
我猜主要原因就是那是我第一次離開家。
School had always come naturally to me before. I wasn't used to cramming and pulling all-nighters.
以前,學業對我來說總是很自然的一件事。我過去并不習慣死記硬背和開夜車,
I naturally had been a straight-A student.
但我自然而然就成了一個優秀學生。
Now I had to work hard so I wouldn't flunk.
可是現在我必須努力學習才能不掛科。
The problem was I was terrified of my prof and TAs.
問題是,我當時很怕我的教授和助教們。
I was confused with my first assignment, and didn't hand it in on time.
我對進入大學的第一次作業并不是很會,而且沒能按時上交給老師。
I bombed the test that same week. I started to study harder so I wouldn't fall behind.
就在同一個星期我考試也沒及格。所以為了不落后,我開始更努力地學習。
Eventually, I met with an advisor who really helped me. By my junior year, I was doing well.
后來,我遇見了一位指導員,他幫了我很多。到大三的時候,我的表現就很好了。
Okay, so let's see which of these words we heard.
好的,那現在我們來看看都聽到了哪些單詞。
We heard the word "advisor", yep. "Flunk", yep. "Fall behind".
我們聽到了“指導員”,沒錯;“掛科”,對的;還有“落后”。
Did we hear the word "marks"? Let's see. Nope. "Grades", nope.
我們有聽到”分數”這個單詞嗎?看看哈,嗯......沒有。“成績”呢?也沒有。
"Freshman", yes. "Sophomore", no. "Junior", yes. "Prof". "Pull an all-nighter", "cram", "TA".
“大一”?有;“大二”?沒有;“大三”?有的;“教授”、“開夜車”、“死記硬背”、“助教”,這些都有。
"Ace the test", no. "Dean", no. "Instructor", nope. "Registrar", nope. "Drop a course", nope.
“考高分”?沒有;“系主任”?沒有;“講師”?沒有;“登記員”?沒有;“退課”?也沒有。
"Hit the books", nope. "Undergrad", yes. "Grad student", no. And "hand in", yes.
“用功學習”?沒有;“大學”?有;“大學生”?沒有;“上交”?有的。