雅思詞組1:on average按平均數計算;一般說來
Maybe you know that an adult in the UK will probably need about 1,700 kilocalories a day on average; someone in Antarctica will need about 3,500-just over double!
你們也許知道,在英國一個成年人平均每天可能需要1700大卡能量,在南極洲則需要3500大卡,是在英國時的兩倍還多!
A:How many hours a day on average do you watch TV?
A:你平均每天看多長時間的電視?
B:Not a lot really...I should say just over an hour.
B:真的不是很多……應該是一小時多點兒。
above/below average表“在平均水平上/下”。
雅思詞組2:on business因公
A:What about trains to London? I'll need to go there on business for one day.
A:能介紹一下去倫敦的火車嗎?我需要去那出差一天。
B:Then you need to go to Central Station-that's for all the national services. There are regular trains to London.
B:你得去中央車站,那兒提供國內所有車次服務。有火車定點開往倫敦。
與business相關的常用表達:
in business經營;準備就緒
be the business很好
get about your business忙自己的事,做通常做的事
none of one's business與某人無關
out of business停業,歇業
business in busines公事公辦
雅思詞組3:on campus在校內
A:Are you familiar with the bus route of the downtown area?
A:你熟悉市中心的公交線路嗎?
B:No, I am not at all because I have been living on campus.
B:不,一點兒也不熟悉,因為我住校。
雅思詞組4:on display展出,展覽,陳列
Samples of all the tools that were used widely at that time are on display in the showroom.
所有當時廣泛使用的工具的樣品都在陳列室展出。
雅思詞組5:on hand現有(尤指幫助);在場,出席
Entertainment is laid on nearly every night with tour leaders on hand to organize lectures, games, quizzes and respond to any special requests from guests.
幾乎每晚都有娛樂活動,領隊會在場組織演講、游戲和測試,并應對客人提出的所有特殊要求。
與hand相關的常用表達:
(at) first hand第一手;親自
in hand在手頭,可供使用;在控制中
out of hand難以(或無法)撞制
have one's hands fiat忙得不可開交
offone's hands不再由某人負責
to hand在手邊,隨時可得到
雅思詞組6:on impulse一時沖動
A:I really didn't know you were looking for some new clothes.
A:我真的不知道你要買一些新衣服。
B:I just bought them on impulse last weekend.
B:上周末只是一時沖動才買的。
雅思詞組7:on one's behalf為7…的利益,代表
We have a full-time accommodation officer available to help all students. She'll get in touch with you when you're accepted-she's got plenty of contacts in the town and will deal with the agencies on your behalf.
我們有一個全職的住宿管理員,她會給所有學生提供幫助。你被錄取后她會和你聯系,她在鎮上有很多熟人,會代表你和中介打交道。
雅思詞組8:on one's way to在去…的路上
A:I'm starving!
A:我餓了!
B:So am I.
B:我也是。
A:Actually, I was on my way to the canteen to get something for lunch.
A:事實上我正要去餐廳買午餐。
雅思詞組9:on request應要求
The hotel can provide special services to guests on request.
該旅館可以根據顧客的要求提供服務。
雅思詞組10:on second thoughts經重新考慮,進一步考慮后,繼而一想
A:What would you like? Pizza, sandwich, hot dog, filed rice, the canteen does everything...
A:你想要什么?比薩、三明治、熱狗或是炒米飯,餐廳里什么都有……
B:Oh, something easy. Take-away fried rice sounds good.
B:要些簡單的吧。可打包的炒飯聽上去不錯。
A:OK, fried...
A:好的,要炒……
B:No, on second thoughts, I'll have a cheese and tomato sandwich.
B:不,想了想,我還是要奶酪和番茄三明治吧。
相關詞組:
have second thoughts改變想法,改變主意
without a second thought立即,馬上,不假思索