"Jen?"
“詹?”
"Ollie?"
“奧利?”
We both spoke so quietly, it was impossible to take an emotional reading.
我們倆的口氣都那么平靜,不可能聽出對方話中的感情色彩。
"I forgot my key," Jenny said.
“我忘了帶鑰匙了,”詹妮說。
I stood there at the bottom of the steps, afraid to ask how long she had been sitting, knowing only that I had wronged her terribly.
我站在臺階下,不敢問她在這兒已經坐了多久,只知道我大大地委屈了她。
"Jenny, I'm sorry—"
“詹妮,對不起——”
"Stop!" she cut off my apology,then said very quietly, "Love means not ever having to say you're sorry."
“別說了!”她打斷我的道歉,接著心平氣和地說:“愛就意味著永遠不必說對不起。”
I climbed up the stairs to where she was sitting.
我登上臺階走到她坐的地方。
"I'd like to go to sleep. Okay?" she said.
“我想睡覺了,好嗎?”她說。
"Okay."
“好的。”
We walked up to our apartment. As we undressed, she looked at me reassuringly.
我們走上樓,來到我們的公寓套間。在我們脫衣就寢時,她用一種讓我寬心的目光望著我。
"I meant what I said, Oliver."
“剛才我說的話是真心實意的,奧利佛。”
And that was all.
這事兒就這么過去了。