保護無辜者
Pansy wanted to write an article on detectives for the school newspaper.
潘西想為校報寫篇有關偵探方面的文章。
To get information, she interviewed Detective Ken.
為了獲得信息,她采訪了偵探家,肯。
This is part of the interview.
這是采訪的一部分。
You say that you like being a detective. Why?
你說你喜歡做一個偵探。為什么?
Let me tell you about a recent case that I dealt with, Pansy.
讓我告訴你關于我最近處理的一個案子吧,潘西。
Mr Jones is a very rich man who lives alone and enjoys collecting things.
瓊森先生是一個有錢人。他一個人住并且喜歡收集東西。
He purchased a vase for 300,000 dollars.
他花三十萬美元買了一個花瓶。
He showed it to only two people - his friends Jill and Jenny.
他就給兩個人看過—他的朋友吉爾和詹妮。
Then he locked it in the safe at his house.
然后他把它鎖在他房里的一個安全地方。
That night, someone stole it.
那天晚上,有人把它偷走了。
Mr Johns reported the theft, and I went to his house to look for clues.
李告了小偷,我去他家查線索。
Did you find any?
你發現什么了嗎?
Yes, I found a black pearl earring near the open safe and, outside the open window of the room, I saw a lot of mud on the wet ground.
是的,我發現,在打開的安全地附近,有一只黑色的珍珠耳環。而且在房間開著的窗戶外,我看見濕濕的地面上有好多泥。
Inside the room, the carpet was spotlessly clean.
在房間里面,地毯特別干靜,沒有一點污漬。
So what did you do next?
那么你接下來做了些什么?
I interviewed Jill and Jenny.
我見了吉爾和詹妮。
They both denied stealing the vase.
他們都否認偷了花瓶。
But I noticed that Jill was wearing a black pearl necklace - but no earrings.
但是我注意到吉爾帶著一個黑色珍珠項鏈————但是沒有耳環。
So Jill was the thief?
所以吉爾是小偷?
I didn't know. I needed proof.
我不知道。我需要證據。
A good detective never jumps to conclusions.
一個好偵探是從不會很快下結論的。
I decided what to do next. I showed Jill the earring, and she admitted it was hers.
我想好了下一步該做什么。我把那只耳環給吉爾看,她承認那是她的。
She said someone had stolen it from her house a month before.
她說一個月前有人從她房里偷走了它。
I checked her story. It was true.
我核對了她的故事。是真的。
So Jill was no longer a suspect.
所以吉爾不再是疑犯了。
But what about your other clue - the mud outside and the spotless carpet inside?
但是你的其他線索——外面的泥和里面干靜的地毯怎么樣呢?
That told me that probably no thief broke into Mr Johns's house.
那告訴我小偷不可能闖進瓊森先生的家。
So I questioned Mr Johns and, in the end he admitted stealing his own vase.
因此我質問了瓊森先生。最后他承認是他自己偷了花瓶。
He had bought insurance for it.
他為花瓶買了保險。
The insurance company would pay him 300,00 dollars if the vase was stolen.
如果花瓶被偷了,那么保險公司將會付給他兩百萬。
And who stole Jill's earring?
那誰偷了吉爾的耳環?
Mr Johns did that as well.
也是瓊森偷的。
He tried to make sure that Jill would go to jail instead of him.
他試著確信吉爾將代替他進監獄。
So now Mr Johns is behind bars.
所以現在李被關在牢里。
Yes, and Jill is free.
是的,吉爾是清白的。
My job is to protect the innocent as well as find the guilty.
我的工作就是保護無辜的同時找出真兇。
That's why I like being a detective.
那就是我為什么喜歡干偵探這份工作。