Conversation One
長對話一
Tonight, we have a very special guest.
今晚,我們請到了一位非常特別的客人。
Mrs. Anna Sanchez is a three time Olympic champion and author of the new book To the Edge. Mrs Sanchez, thank you for joining us.
安娜·桑切斯夫人是三屆奧運會冠軍、新書《走向邊緣》的作者。桑切斯夫人,謝謝你參加我們的節目。
Thank you for having me.
謝謝你們的邀請。
Let’s start with your book. What does the title To the Edge mean? What are you referring to?
讓我們從你的書開始。《走向邊緣》的書名有什么含義?你指的是什么?
The book is about how science and technology has helped push humans to the edge of their physical abilities.
這本書是關于科學和技術如何幫助推動人類達到身體能力的邊緣(極限)。
I argue that in the past 20 years we have had the best athletes the world has ever seen.
我認為,在過去20年里,我們出現了世界上有史以來最好的運動員。
But is this a fair comparison? How do you know, how, say, a football player from 50 years ago would compare to one today?
但這樣的比較公平嗎?你怎么知道,一個50年前的足球運動員和今天的足球運動員是怎么比較的呢?
Well, you are right. That comparison would be perhaps impossible to make.
嗯,你說得對。這樣的比較也許是不可能的。
But the point is more about our knowledge today of human biochemistry, nutrition and mechanics.
但它的重點更多是關于我們今天的人類生物化學、營養和力學知識。
I believe that while our bodies have not changed in thousands of years, what has changed is the scientific knowledge.
我相信,雖然我們的身體幾千年來沒有改變,但科學知識改變了。
This has allowed athletes to push the limits of what was previously thought possible.
這使得運動員能夠突破之前人們所認為的極限。
That’s interesting. Please tell us more about these perceived limits.
這很有趣。請告訴我們更多關于這些限制的信息。
The world has seen sports records being broken that could only be broken with the aid of technology,
世界已經見證了只有借助科技才能打破的體育記錄,
whether this be the speed of a tennis serve or the fastest time in 100 meter dash or 200 meter swimming race.
無論是網球的發球速度,還是100米短跑或200米游泳比賽的最快速度。
Is there any concern that technology is giving some athletes an unfair advantage over others?
有沒有人擔心技術會給一些運動員帶來不公平的優勢?
That is an interesting question and one that has to be considered very carefully.
這是一個有趣的問題,也是一個需要仔細考慮的問題。
Skis, for example, went from being made of wood to a metal alloy, which allows for better control and faster speed.
例如,滑雪板從木制變成了金屬合金,這樣可以更好的控制并有更快的速度。
There is no stopping technological progress.
技術進步不會停止。
But, as I said, each situation should be considered carefully on a case by case basis.
但是,正如我所說的,每種情況都應該根據具體情況仔細考慮。
1. What do we learn about Anna Sanchez?
1. 關于安娜·桑切斯我們了解到什么?
2. What is the woman’s book mainly about?
2. 這位女士的書主要講了什么內容?
3. What has changed in the past thousands of years?
3.在過去的幾千年里什么發生了變化?
4. What is the man’s concern about the use of technology in sports competitions?
4. 關于在體育比賽中使用科技,男士擔心什么?