Conversation Two:
對話二
Sarah, you work in the admissions office, don't you?
莎拉,你在招生辦公室工作吧?
Yes, I've been here ten years as assistant director.
是的,我在這里做了10年的助理主任。
Really? What does that involve?
是嗎?都負責什么?
Well, I'm in charge of all the admissions of postgraduate students in the university.
我負責大學里所有研究生的錄取工作。
Only postgraduates?
只負責研究生嗎?
Yes, postgraduates only. I have nothing at all to do with undergraduates.
是的,只是研究生。本科生與我無關。
Do you find that you get particular sort of different national groups? I mean, do you get large numbers from Latin America or...
你會錄取一些特殊的不同民族的人嗎?我是說,你會錄取很多來自拉丁美洲或者……
Yes. Well, of all the students enrolled last year, nearly half were from overseas. They were from African countries, the Far East, the Middle East, and Latin America.
是的。去年所有入學的學生中有近半數的人來自海外。他們來自非洲國家、遠東、中東和拉丁美洲地區。
Em. But have you been doing just that for the last 10 years, or, have you done other things?
在過去的10年,你只做這些嗎?或者你還做了別的什么事?
Well, I've been doing the same job. Er, before that, I was secretary of the medical school at Birmingham, and further back, I worked in the local government.
我一直在做相同的工作。在這之前,我在伯明翰的醫學院做秘書,再往前,我是在當地政府工作。
Oh, I see.
我懂了。
So I've done different types of things.
所以我做了各種各樣的事情。
Yes, indeed. How do you imagine your job might develop in the future? Can you imagine shifting into a different kind of responsibility or doing something...
確實。你對未來的工作發展怎么看?你想過換一種不同的職責或做一些……
Oh, yeah, from October 1, I' II be doing an entirely different job. There's going to be more committee work. I mean, more policy work, and less dealing with students, unfortunately, I'II miss my contact with students.
是的。從10月1日起,我開始做完全不同的工作了。我將會有更多的委員會工作。我是說更多的政策性工作,很少能處理一些學生們的問題,我會想念和同學們接觸的日子。
Questions 23 to 25 are based on the conversation you've just heard:
基于你聽到的回答問題23至25。
Question 23. What is the woman's present position?
問題23. 女人目前的職位是什么?
Question 24. What do we learn about the postgraduates enrolled last year in the woman's university?
問題24. 在女人的這所大學,去年研究生入學情況怎么樣?
Question 25. What will the woman's new job be like?
問題25. 女人的新工作是什么?