"He asked me if that was my daughter riding there beside me, with her smooth pink cheeks."
“他問我邊上騎馬的這位白潔粉嫩的家伙是不是我女兒!”
The wildling shook snow from his arm and turned his horse about.
野人抖落手臂上的雪,調轉馬頭。
"it may be he never saw a man without a beard before.
“大概他這輩子從沒見過不長胡子的男人咧,
Come, we start back.
來,我們回去,
Mance grows sore wroth when I'm not found in my accustomed place."
待會找不到我,曼斯鐵定大發脾氣。”
Jon wheeled and followed Tormund back toward the head of the column, his new cloak hanging heavy from his shoulders.
瓊恩調頭隨托蒙德朝隊列前端走去,新斗篷沉重地披在肩頭。
It was made of unwashed sheepskins, worn fleece side in, as the wildlings suggested.
它由未經清洗的羊皮縫制而成,遵照野人的建議,毛絨的一面穿在內。
It kept the snow off well enough, and at night it was good and warm, but he kept his black cloak as well, folded up beneath his saddle.
它足以遮擋風雪,夜里也能保證睡個暖和的好覺,但他并沒丟棄黑斗篷,而是將其折好放在馬鞍下。
"Is it true you killed a giant once?" he asked Tormund as they rode.
“你真的殺過巨人?”邊向前騎,他邊問托蒙德。
Ghost loped silently beside them, leaving paw prints in the new-fallen snow.
白靈安靜地在旁慢跑,新雪地上印下爪印。
"Now why would you doubt a mighty man like me?
“噢,這還有假?你小子干嘛懷疑我這么強壯的漢子呢?
It was winter and I was half a boy, and stupid the way boys are.
那是冬天的事,當年我人還小,小男孩都傻乎乎的。
I went too far and my horse died and then a storm caught me.
我跑得太遠,結果馬死掉了,偏又遭遇風暴襲擊。
A true storm, not no little dusting such as this.
一場真正的風暴喲,不是現在這種撒面粉似的天氣。
Har! I knew I'd freeze to death before it broke.
哈!我知道不等風暴平息我就會凍死,
So I found me a sleeping giant, cut open her belly, and crawled up right inside her.
于是找到一個熟睡的巨人,割開她的肚子,爬了進去。
Kept me warm enough, she did, but the stink near did for me.
她體內確實暖和,只是臭氣差點把我熏死。
The worst thing was, she woke up when the spring come and took me for her babe.
最糟的是,春天的時候她醒過來,把我當成她的孩子,
Suckled me for three whole moons before I could get away.
在我想辦法逃離前,足足喂了我三個月的奶。
Har! There's times I miss the taste o' giant's milk, though."
哈!不過有時候我還挺想念巨人奶的味道。”
"If she nursed you, you couldn't have killed her."
“她喂你奶,你怎能殺她呢?”
"I never did, but see you don't go spreading that about.
“我當然沒殺她——你千萬別把這話傳出去。
Tormund Giantsbane has a better ring to it than Tormund Giantsbabe, and that's the honest truth o' it."
巨人克星托蒙德比巨人嬰兒托蒙德好聽多了,對吧?”
"So how did you come by your other names?" Jon asked.
“你的其他外號又怎么來的呢?”瓊恩問,
"Mance called you the Horn-Blower, didn't he?
“曼斯叫你吹號者,是么?
Mead-king of Ruddy Hall, Husband to Bears, Father to Hosts?"
還有紅廳的蜜酒之王,雪熊之夫,生靈之父?”
It was the horn blowing he particularly wanted to hear about, but he dared not ask too plainly.
他其實想打聽的是“吹號者”這個外號,但不敢問得太直接。
And foramun blew the Horn of Winter, and woke giants from the earth.
傳說喬曼吹響冬之號角,從地底將巨人們喚醒。
Is that where they had come from, them and their mammoths?
巨人和長毛象真的就是這樣來的?
Had Mance Rayder found the Horn of Joramun, and given it to Tormund Thunderfist to blow?
莫非曼斯·雷德找到喬曼的號角,并把它交給雷拳托蒙德來吹?
"Are all crows so curious?" asked Tormund.
“烏鴉都這么好奇嗎?”托蒙德反問。
"Well, here's a tale for you.
“好吧,故事是這樣的。
It were another winter, colder even than the one I spent inside that giant, and snowing day and night, snowflakes as big as your head, not these little things.
那是另一個冬季,比我在巨人肚里渡過的那個還冷,沒日沒夜地下雪,雪花有你腦袋那么大,可不是現在這種小場面。
It snowed so hard the whole village was half buried.
大雪紛飛,整個村子被埋住一半,
I was in me Ruddy Hall, with only a cask o' mead to keep me company and nothing to do but drink it.
我住在紅廳里面,陪伴我的只有一桶蜜酒。
The more I drank the more I got to thinking about this woman lived close by, a fine strong woman with the biggest pair of teats you ever saw.
無事可做,只有喝酒,而我喝得越多,就越想住在附近的那個女人,她的模樣強壯又漂亮,一對奶子更大得驚人,
She had a temper on her, that one, but oh, she could be warm too, and in the deep of winter a man needs his warmth.
雖然脾氣很壞,沒錯—但是,哦,她也很熱和,在隆冬季節,男人就需要熱和勁。”
"The more I drank the more I thought about her, and the more I thought the harder me member got, till I couldn't suffer it no more.
“我喝得越多就越想她,越想她,那話兒就越硬,直到再也受不了。
Fool that I was, I bundled meself up in furs from head to heels, wrapped a winding wool around me face, and set off to find her.
我傻得熱血上沖,當即把自己從頭到腳裹進毛皮,臉上蒙一塊羊毛風巾,沖出去找她。
The snow was coming down so hard I got turned around once or twice, and the wind blew right through me and froze me bones,
雪下得太大,辯不清路途,風穿透身子,凍僵了骨頭,
but finally I come on her, all bundled up like I was.
但最后還是找著了她,她跟我一樣全身裹著毛皮。
"The woman had a terrible temper, and she put up quite the fight when I laid hands on her.
“女人的脾氣確實惡劣,我抱住她,她激烈反抗,
It was all I could do to carry her home and get her out o' them furs,
我費勁全力才把她帶回家,脫掉一身毛皮,
but when I did, oh, she was hotter even than I remembered, and we had a fine old time, and then I went to sleep.
當我這么做的時候,哦,她熱烈的程度簡直讓人無法回憶。后來呢,后來我們好好享受了一段,然后就睡了。
Next morning when I woke the snow had stopped and the sun was shining, but I was in no fit state to enjoy it.
第二天早晨醒來,雪已停止,陽光照耀,但我的狀態卻不好,
All ripped and torn I was, and half me member bit right off, and there on me floor was a she-bear's pelt.
全身都是傷口,那話兒被咬掉一半,地板上則有一張母熊皮。