“Let me have a taste o’ that gold.”
“讓我嘗嘗金子。”
The man took one of the coins from her palm and bit it.
男人從她掌心攫過一塊金幣,咬了咬。
“Hm. Real enough, I’d say. Three dragons and the skiff?”
“嗯,不錯不錯,十足真金。那么,三塊金龍加上小船?”
“He’s robbing you blind, wench,” Jaime said amiably.
“他敲你竹杠呢,妞兒。”詹姆親切地說。
“I’ll want provisions too,” Brienne told their host, ignoring Jaime.
“我還要足夠的食物,”布蕾妮不理詹姆,繼續和主人攀談,
“Whatever you have that you can spare.”
“有什么要什么。”
“There’s more oatcakes.”
“我有燕麥餅。”
The man scooped the other two dragons from her palm and jingled them in his fist, smiling at the sound they made.
男人把剩下的兩枚金幣一把撈過,捏在手中揉搓,陶醉在它們發出的聲響里,
“Aye, and smoked salt fish, but that will cost you silver.
“呃,還有熏腌魚——這個得用銀幣付帳,。
My beds will be costing as well.
床位也一樣
You’ll be wanting to stay the night.”
你們該要住一宿吧?”
“No,” Brienne said at once.
“不,”布蕾妮毫不含糊。
The man frowned at her.
男人皺起眉頭,
“Woman, you don’t want to go riding at night through strange country on horses you don’t know.
“女人,你該不會想騎著一匹陌生的馬,深夜在荒山野地游蕩吧?
You’re like to blunder into some bog or break your horse’s leg.”
那才傻咧,剛買的馬要么陷進泥潭,要么就是摔斷腿。”
“The moon will be bright tonight,” Brienne said.
“今晚月光足夠,”布蕾妮說,
“We’ll have no trouble finding our way.”
“我們找得到路。”
Their host chewed on that.
主人仔細衡量她的話,
“If you don’t have the silver, might be some coppers would buy you them beds, and a coverlet or two to keep you warm.
“沒銀幣的話,多給幾個銅板也可以提供床鋪,外加一兩條毛毯暖身子。
It’s not like I’m turning travelers away, if you get my meaning.”
呃,如果您明白我的意思,我不想趕客人走。”
“That sounds more than fair,” said Ser Cleos.
“這還差不多,”克里奧爵士道。
“The coverlets is fresh washed, too.
“真的,毛毯剛洗過,
My wife saw to that before she had to go off.
我老婆離開前專門弄的。
Not a flea to be found neither, you have my word on that.”
絕對一只跳蚤都沒有,我向您保證。”
He jingled the coins again, smiling.
他又笑著揉揉錢幣。
Ser Cleos was plainly tempted.
克里奧爵士動了心。
“A proper bed would do us all good, my lady,” he said to Brienne.
“在床上睡一覺對我們有好處,小姐,”他勸告布蕾妮,
“We’d make better time on the morrow once refreshed.”
“精力充沛,方能好好趕路。”
He looked to his cousin for support.
他望向表哥,懇求幫助。
“No, coz, the wench is right.
“不,老表,妞兒說得對。
We have promises to keep, and long leagues before us.
我們有諾言必須遵守,而路還長著呢,
We ought ride on.”
不應多做逗留。”
“But,” said Cleos, “you said yourself—”
“可是,”克里奧張口結舌地道,“你自己剛才不是說——”
“Then.”
“剛才是剛才,現在是現在。”
When I thought the inn deserted.
剛才我以為這是間廢棄的客棧。
“Now I have a full belly, and a moonlight ride will be just the thing.”
“填飽肚皮之后,正需要騎行散步幫助消化。”
He smiled for the wench.
他沖妞兒一笑。
“But unless you mean to throw me over the back of that plow horse like a sack of flour, someone had best do something about these irons.
“看來,小姐你打算把我當面粉扔給犁馬馱嘍?
It’s difficult to ride with your ankles chained together.”
腳踝連在一起,我還真不知該怎么騎。”
Brienne frowned at the chain.
布蕾妮皺緊眉頭,打量著鐵鏈。
The man who wasn’t an innkeep rubbed his jaw.
不是店家的男人則摸摸下巴,
“There’s a smithy round back of the stable.”
“馬廄后有個鐵匠鋪。”
“Show me,” Brienne said.
“帶我去,”布蕾妮道。
“Yes,” said Jaime, “and the sooner the better.
“快去吧,”詹姆說,“越快越好。
There’s far too much horse shit about here for my taste.
這里馬屎太多,
I would hate to step in it.”
不是人待的地兒。”
He gave the wench a sharp look, wondering if she was bright enough to take his meaning.
他銳利地看了妞兒一眼,不知她明白不明白他的暗示。
He hoped she might strike the irons off his wrists as well, but Brienne was still suspicious.
他希望雙手也能獲得自由,但布蕾妮終究放心不下。
She split the ankle chain in the center with a half-dozen sharp blows from the smith’s hammer delivered to the blunt end of a steel chisel.
她拿來鐵匠的錘子和鑿子,朝腳鐐中央用力幾敲,將其弄斷。
When he suggested that she break the wrist chain as well, she ignored him.
當他建議=手銬也照此辦理時,她沒理他。
“Six miles downriver you’ll see a burned village,”
“往下游六里,您會看見一個被燒毀的村莊。”
their host said as he was helping them saddle the horses and load their packs.
主人一邊幫他們整理鞍具、裝載包裹,一邊說話。
This time he directed his counsel at Brienne.
這回他直接向布蕾妮提建議。
“The road splits there. If you turn south, you’ll come on Ser Warren’s stone towerhouse.
“道路在那兒分叉。往南走會經過沃倫爵士的石塔樓,
Ser Warren went off and died, so I couldn’t say who holds it now, but it’s a place best shunned.
但爵士他出去打仗死掉了,所以我不知現今誰占住那兒,你們最好避開它。
You’d do better to follow the track through the woods, south by east.”
依我之見,應該跟著小道進森林,往東南方向走。”
“We shall,” she answered.
“好的,”她回答,
“You have my thanks.”
“我們感激你的幫助。”
More to the point, he has your gold.
感激個鬼,詹姆心想,我們被他大敲了一筆。
Jaime kept the thought to himself.
但他沒把話說出口,
He was tired of being disregarded by this huge ugly cow of a woman.
因為厭倦了被這頭丑陋的肥母牛不搭不理。
She took the plow horse for herself and assigned the palfrey to Ser Cleos.
她自騎犁馬,把好馬讓給克里奧爵士,
As threatened, Jaime drew the one-eyed gelding,
而在她威脅下,詹姆只得牽走一只眼的畜牲,
which put an end to any thoughts he might have had of giving his horse a kick and leaving the wench in his dust.
盤算了半天的狠命一踢、決塵而去的念頭統統落了空。
The man and the boy came out to watch them leave.
男人和孩子目送他們離去。
The man wished them luck and told them to come back in better times, while the lad stood silent, his crossbow under his arm.
男人祝他們好運,也祝好日子早早降臨,歡迎他們再來作客。孩子則一言不發,胳膊夾著十字弓。“