I have been meditating for eight years, and I am still plenty ambitious.
我已經做了八年冥想,我仍然雄心勃勃。
However, these days I'm not as sweaty, agitated, and unpleasant about it as I used to be.
但是,我現在不像以前那樣想起冥想時會滿頭大汗、煩躁不安、不愉快。
Meditation has helped me sort out my useless rumination from what I call constructive anguish.
冥想幫我從所謂的積極式痛苦中擺脫掉那些無用的沉思。
I have learned that the less enchanted you are by the voice in your head,
我明白了,你越是不被頭腦中的聲音所迷惑,
the more you can make room for entirely new thoughts and feelings to emerge.
就越能騰出空間讓全新的想法和感覺浮現出來。
It has enabled me to take even more delight in my work, my wife, and our son, Alexander,
這使我對工作、妻子和兒子亞歷山大都感到更加滿意。
who suffuses me with warmth whether he's offering me a chicken nugget or wiping macerated muffin on my sleeve.
無論亞歷山大給我一塊雞塊,或是在我袖子上擦浸漬過的松餅,都讓我感到溫暖。
I am less in thrall to my desires and aversions, which has given me a wider perspective
我不那么受欲望和厭惡的束縛,這給了我更廣闊的視野。
and, at times, a taste of a deep, ineffable unclenching.
有時,也讓我體會到一種深沉、不可言喻的解脫。
In sum, meditation empowers you to tap into what lies beneath or beyond the ego.
總之,冥想能讓你發掘出隱藏在自我之下或超越自我的東西,
Call it creativity. Call it your innate wisdom. Some people call it your heart. Ew
這稱為創造力,是你與生俱來的智慧。有人把它叫做心靈。呃......
WHEN YOU'RE READY TO TAKE IT FURTHER
當你準備更進一步時
Count your breaths from one to ten, and then start over.
從一數到十,然后再重數。
Breathe in, one, then out. Breathe in, two, then out, and so on.
吸氣,一,然后呼氣。吸氣,二,呼氣,依此類推。
Some people like to recite a short phrase to help them stay focused.
有些人喜歡背誦簡短的短語來幫助他們保持專注。
"Just this breath" is a good one.
“呼吸”這個就很好。
It reminds us not to start anticipating the next breath, or to think about the last one,
它提醒我們不要開始預測下一次呼吸,也不要去想最后一次呼吸,
or to imagine in any of the innumerable ways the mind can cook up that anything else is supposed to be happening—"just this breath."
或者想象大腦可以用無數種方式制造出任何其他會發生的事——“而只是呼吸。”
Recruit an image. Sometimes I imagine the in breath as a gentle wave moving up the beach, pshhhh,
運用一個形象。有時我會把呼入想象成一股輕柔的波浪向海灘上移動,噗斯,
and on the out breath, the wave recedes, sssssshh. Back and forth. Find an image that works for you.
呼出則是波浪退去,絲......來回這樣,找到一個適合你的形象。
Give guided audio meditations a shot.
試試引導性有聲冥想。
Some people wrongly assume that guided meditations are a form of training wheels—or cheating. I disagree.
有些人錯誤地認為引導性冥想是一種訓練輪或欺騙的形式,我不同意這種說法。
Instructions are quickly forgotten. Having someone in your ear can be really helpful.
人們很快就會忘掉那些指令,有人在你耳邊說些什么很有幫助。
My advice is to experiment with both audio and solo meditations and see what works best.
我的建議是嘗試有聲冥想和單獨的冥想,看看哪種方法最有效。