The second thing that changed my mind about meditation is that it does not necessarily entail a lot of the "weird" stuff I feared it might.
第二件改變了我對冥想看法的事情是,冥想不必包含我擔心的很多“怪”事。
Contrary to popular belief, meditation does not have to involve folding yourself into a pretzel,
與普遍的看法相反,冥想不需要把自己折成椒鹽卷餅,
joining a group, or wearing special outfits.
加入一個團體,或穿著特殊服裝。
The word meditation is a little bit like the word sports; there are hundreds of varieties.
冥想這個詞與運動一詞有點類似,有數百種形式。
The type of meditation discussed here is called mindfulness meditation,
這里討論的冥想類型稱為正念冥想,
which is derived from Buddhism but does not require adopting a belief system or declaring oneself to be a Buddhist.
它源于佛教,但不需吸納信仰體系或宣稱自己是佛教徒。
I began my practice slowly, with just five to ten minutes a day, which is what I recommend everyone aim for at the start.
我慢慢地開始練習,每天只花5到10分鐘,我建議大家開始時都這么做。
(Frankly, if you find time for even one minute a day, you can count that as a win.)
(坦率地說,如果你每天抽出一分鐘時間這么做,就是一種勝利。)
The practice does get easier the longer you keep at it,
堅持的時間越長,就越容易,
but even after doing it for years, I get lost all the time.
但即使做了很多年,我也總是走神。
Here's a random sample of my mental chatter during a typical session: In. Out.
以下是我在一次典型的冥想中出現雜念的例子:吸氣、呼氣。
Man, I am feeling antsy. What's the Yiddish term my grandmother used to use for that? Shpilkes. Right.
天啊,我感到煩躁。我祖母過去常說的那個猶太語的詞是什么?Shpilkes,對。
Words that always make me giggle: ointment, pianist. Wait, what? Come on, man. Back to the breath.
總能讓我咯咯笑的詞:軟膏、鋼琴家。等一下,什么?得了吧,重新關注呼吸。
In. Out. Likes: baked goods. Dislikes: fedoras, dream sequences, that part in techno songs where the French accordion kicks in.
吸氣、呼氣。我喜歡的:烘焙食品。我不喜歡的:軟呢帽、夢境,數碼歌曲中法式手風琴演奏的部分。
Dude. Come On. In. Out. In.
伙計,干嘛呢,吸氣、呼氣、吸氣。
Alternative jobs: papal nuncio, interpretive dancer, working double time on the seduction line ...
另類工作:羅馬教皇、詮釋性舞者、在誘惑中努力工作......
You get the idea.
你明白了吧。
To give you a sense of exactly how simple it is, here are the three-step instructions for beginning meditation.
為了讓你明白冥想到底有多簡單,以下是開始冥想的三個步驟。