Let me give you another example "from cozy to crazy", and it happened right here in Chicago.
讓我再舉一個從舒適到瘋狂的例子,它就發生在芝加哥。
In 1999, after years of studying at law school, hard work as a young, and then not so young lawyer,
1999年,在結束了法學院幾年的學習并成為一名年輕的律師,并不是那么的年輕的律師之后,
my partners at Baker & McKenzie elected me chairman of this global unique law firm.
我在貝克·麥堅時國際律師事務所的合伙人,將我選為這家全球知名法律公司的董事長。
Working and living here in Chicago allowed me to thrive as a lawyer,
在芝加哥的工作和生活使我得以成長為一名律師,
as a leader, and as a mother of two wonderful boys.
一名領導,兩個出色孩子的母親。
And I could not have made it without the support and tolerance of my family, they are here today,
沒有家人的支持和寬容,我不可能做到這一點,他們今天就在這里,
and the help of my great colleagues and friends, some of whom are here today as well.
沒有優秀的同事和朋友的幫助,我也不可能做到這一點,他們當中有些人今天也來到了這里。
But in 2005, I received a phone call, a bit like you, President.
但是在2005年,我接到了一通電話,這和你有點像,校長先生。
The call was from Paris, and it was the Prime Minister.
這通電話是來自巴黎的,是總理給我打的。
And he was asking me to join the French government as Trade Secretary.
他要求我加入法國政府,擔任外貿部部長。
Now when your country calls you to public service, there is really one answer you can give.
當你的國家要求你參與公眾服務的時候,你實際上能給出的答案只有一個。
So I gave up my cozy life as chairman, my wonderful expected retirement plan,
因此,我放棄了舒適的董事長生活,放棄了理想的退休計劃,
packed my bag and flew immediately to Paris that very same day.
收拾行囊,就在當天立即飛往了巴黎。
And actually, in my haste, I managed to forget my glasses.
事實上,在匆忙中,我忘記了我的眼鏡。
So for first few days in office, the newest French minister was blinking and squinting a lot!
所以在上任的頭幾天,這位新任的法國部長總是不停地眨眼和瞇眼!
But going from "cozy" to "crazy" allowed me to move from the private sector to national public service,
但是從舒適到瘋狂,使我從私營部門來到了國家公共服務部門,
and then to international public service; from France to the United States and to the world.
再到國際公共服務部門;從法國到美國再到全世界。
And one of the major lessons I have learned during that journey is this:
在這段旅程中,我學到的主要經驗之一就是:
be prepared for change, be willing to take risks, be willing to take "smart risks",
為變化做好準備,愿意承擔風險,愿意“明智地冒險”,
and don't ever be afraid of re-inventing yourself along the way.
不要害怕在這個過程中重新塑造自己。