As for you graduates who already know what you're doing next, who have it all mapped out, don't be so sure.
對于那些已經知道接下來要做什么的畢業生,那些把一切都安排妥當的畢業生,你們也別那么肯定。
Life is famous for throwing curve balls when you least expect them.
大家都知道,生活常在最不經意的時候投給你一記曲線球。
My first big one came on a Friday afternoon.
我是在一個周五下午遇到的第一記難接的曲線球。
After about a year at WJAR, I'd decided, you know what, journalism might really be for me.
在WJAR工作大約一年后,我確定,你們知道嗎,新聞工作可能真的適合我。
I was happily typing up a story when my news director called me into his office,
當我正在愉快地打一則新聞稿時,新聞總監將我叫到他辦公室,
told me I didn't have what it takes, and fired me.
對我說我不是搞新聞的料,然后解雇了我。
I drove to my family's home, flung myself dramatically across my bed and sobbed.
我開車回到家,猛撲到床上哭了起來。
And that's how my dad found me.
我父親看到了這一切。
When I explained what had happened, he asked me one question, "Do you think you have what it takes?"
我跟他解釋發生了什么,然后他問了我一個問題:“你覺得你是搞新聞的料么?”
I said "Yes." To which he replied, "Then it doesn't matter what anyone else says.
我說:“我是?!彼卮鹫f:“那就不要管別人怎么說。
There will always be people putting you down; always be people rooting for you to fail."
總會有人貶低你,也總會有人等著看你失敗?!?/p>
The following Monday, I went back to work and I confronted that little weasel -- I mean my news director
接下來的周一,我回去上班,遇到了那只小黃鼬--我是說那位新聞總監,
and I told him I planned to succeed no matter what he thought.
我告訴他,不管他怎么想,我一定要成功。
I may have also pinned him up against the wall, like I said, he was little, but he gave me my job back on the spot.
我可能把他按到了墻上,就像我說的,他個頭很小,但他立刻恢復了我的工作。
And that's great that he did, but that's not the point of the story.
他做得很對,但這并不是故事的重點。
The point is: You have to believe in yourself or no one else will.
重點是,你必須相信自己,否則別人不會相信你。
In order to swim, you have to drown out the naysayers.
要想去游泳,你必須先壓過反對聲。
You're all smart, right, or you wouldn't be here today.
你們都很聰明,沒錯,要不然你們今天就不會在這兒。
I imagine you all strive for success and will undoubtedly find it.
我可以想象,你們都在為了獲得成功而努力奮斗,而且無疑都會成功。
But when you do, you just may discover it has nothing to do with how much money you make,
但當你們真的成功了,你們可能會發現,成功與你們賺了多少錢、
or how big a house you live in, or how prestigious your job might sound to someone else.
住多大的房子、你們的工作聽來有多風光沒什么關系。