The Price of Inaction in Syria
外界坐視不理 敘利亞為此付出了多大代價
By Angelina Jolie
文/安吉麗娜·朱莉
A few months into the Syrian conflict in 2011, I visited the Jordanian border at night,
2011年,敘利亞沖突爆發不過三五個月,我便星夜兼程去了約旦邊境,
where shell-shocked Syrian families were crossing under cover of darkness to avoid sniper fire.
不少仍未從震驚中回過神來的敘利亞家庭正企圖在夜色的掩護下通過邊境,以躲避狙擊手的火力壓制。
A medic at the border post told me about a family who’d recently arrived.
邊防哨所的一名醫護人員對我講述了最近剛到邊境的一個家庭的故事。
They carried with them their wounded 8-year-old son and his amputated leg.
和他們一同趕路的是他們8歲的兒子,小孩受了傷,一條腿已經只剩半截。
His leg had been severed in an airstrike.
他的腿是被空襲炸斷的。
He’d begged them to bring it with them as they fled, in the hope that it could somehow be reattached.
他央求父母逃命時帶上他的那截斷腿,希望將來有一天還能重新接上。
At the time, I hoped that stories like his might force the world’s rich and mighty countries to intervene to stop the violence.
當時,我還抱有一絲希望,以為他那樣的故事或許能夠激發列位大國強國抱打不平,平定敘利亞的干戈。
But now, nearly a decade later, it strikes me as a metaphor for the Syrian conflict itself:
然而,如今,時間已經過去了將近10年,我突然覺得,小男孩的故事不過是整個敘利亞沖突的一個縮影:
the shattered innocence of a generation of children;
一代孩子的純真變得支離破碎;
the irreversible damage inflicted upon a secular, multiethnic society;
一個世俗的多民族社會遭受了無可挽回的損失;
and the years of pleas for help that have gone unanswered.
年復一年的求助得不到回應……
I’ve been to the Syrian region some 10 times since the conflict began.
沖突爆發以來,我往返敘利亞地區大概已有10次。
At first, the families I met were hopeful.
起初,我遇到的家庭(對戰爭結束)還懷抱著些許希望。
They said, “Please, tell people what is happening to us,”
他們說,“請把我們的遭遇告訴大家,”
trusting that once the truth was known, the world would come to their rescue.
他們以為,一旦真相大白,世界就會向他們伸出援手。
But hope curdled into anger and the struggle for survival:
然后,逐漸的,希望變成了憤怒,變成了生存線上的掙扎:
the anger of the father who held his baby up to me, asking, “Is this a terrorist? Is my son a terrorist?”
變成了把孩子抱到我面前質問我,“這是恐怖分子嗎?我兒子是恐怖分子嗎?”的父親眼中的怒火,
and the pain of families I met who faced daily choices about which of their children would get scarce food and medicine.
變成了每天都要面臨究竟把少得可憐的食物和藥分給哪個孩子的家庭的痛苦。
We’ve seen countless images of Syrian children asphyxiated by gas,
我們看過無數有關敘利亞兒童被毒氣窒息身亡,
maimed by shrapnel, drowned on the shores of Europe or–as I write–freezing to death in the cold of Syria’s Idlib province.
被彈片炸成殘廢,在歐洲海岸溺水身亡,又或是,像我的文章所寫的那樣,在敘利亞伊德利卜省的嚴寒中被凍死的照片。
None of it has been enough to override the brutal indifference of the competing forces and interests contributing to the destruction of Syria.
卻沒有一張喚醒無情冷漠,互相較勁的勢力及利益方的良知,敘利亞的毀滅卻是他們一手造成的。
Far from healing Syria’s wounds, the response of some external powers has been to inflict further injuries, bloodying their hands in the process.
盡管有一些外部勢力做出了反應,但他們非但沒有治愈,反而加深了敘利亞的傷口,因為他們自己的手也染上了敘利亞人的鮮血。
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。