Following the procedure Jennifer was prescribed a regimen of anti-rejection drugs
手術之后,醫生給詹妮弗開了一套抗排斥藥療法,
while doctors monitored the transplanted uterus to make sure her body was accepting the new organ.
并同時監測移植的子宮,以確保她的身體能接受新器官。
Then about six months later, an embryo was implanted in the new uterus;
大約六個月后,醫生在新子宮中植入了一個胚胎。
10 days after that Jennifer learned she was pregnant.
10天后詹妮弗得知自己懷孕了。
"The first time I felt him kicking I cried for 20 minutes," she says.
她說:“第一次感覺到他踢我的時候我哭了20分鐘。”
"I was probably the happiest pregnant person. I loved all the things people complain about.
“我可能是最快樂的孕婦。我喜歡其他孕婦抱怨的所有事情。
All the stretch marks. I liked being tired. I never got nauseous.
那些妊娠紋。我喜歡那種疲勞感。我從來沒有孕吐過。
And I really felt great and kinda glowing."
我確實感覺非常好,甚至還容光煥發。”
Even though the transplant put her at higher risk for complications—and the baby at risk from the anti-rejection drugs—
盡管移植增加了她出現并發癥的風險,而且還可能讓嬰兒受到抗排斥藥的影響,
Jennifer says her pregnancy was mostly uneventful right up until that checkup
但詹妮弗說,直到那次產檢之前,她的孕期大部分都是平安無事的。
where her higher blood-pressure reading prompted doctors to perform the C-section early.
那次產檢她升高的血壓提示醫生盡早進行剖腹產。
"It happened so quickly—and then the baby was here," says Drew.
“一切發生得太快了,寶寶直接就跟我見面了,”德魯說。
"It'd be easier for me to list all the emotions I wasn't feeling in that moment than to list all the ones I was.
“當時我有成千上萬種思緒縈繞在心頭。
I was just bawling my eyes out in the operating room."
我在手術室里激動的熱淚盈眶。”
After discussions with doctors, the couple decided to have Jennifer's transplanted uterus removed immediately after she gave birth—
與醫生討論后,這對夫婦決定在詹妮弗出生后立即摘除移植子宮,
primarily so she could stop taking the anti-rejection drugs, which weakened her immune system.
主要是為了停止服用抗排斥藥物,那些藥削弱了她的免疫系統。
"I'd rather be healthy for one baby," she says, "than try to strain myself to try to do two pregnancies."
她說:“我寧愿健健康康的,只有一個孩子,也不愿冒險去懷兩次孕。”
So far parenthood has been everything the couple could have hoped for.
目前,為人父母就是這對夫妻最大的愿望。
"We're just thrilled to be doing normal things after this crazy journey," says Drew.
德魯說:“在這段瘋狂的經歷之后,我們很高興能回到正軌。”
"A lot of parents don't look forward to changing diapers, but I think it's awesome.
“很多父母不喜歡換尿布,但我太喜歡了。
We just feel so lucky."
我們感到非常幸運。”
It's an experience Jennifer hopes will soon be available to others with MRKH.
詹妮弗希望其他患有MRKH的人也能盡快擁有這種體驗。
More than100 women have applied to be transplant recipients since Benjamin's birth.
自本杰明出生以來,已有100多名婦女申請接受移植。
"For me the biggest thing, other than wanting parenthood, was to raise awareness for the women that are affected," she says.
她說:“對我而言,除了想成為父母之外,最大的愿望就是提高人們對受MRKH影響的女性的關注。”
"This wasn't just an opportunity for us to start a family but to help other women just like me."
“這不僅是我們組建家庭的機會,也是幫助像我這樣的其他女性的機會。”
And a quick note about the surgery: While uterine transplants show great promise,
關于手術的簡要說明:盡管子宮移植前景廣闊,
researchers caution that they are still highly experimental and carry serious risks for both mother and baby.
但研究人員警告說,子宮移植仍處于高度試驗階段,會給母親和嬰兒帶來嚴重風險。
"There are other trials that didn't have any live-born children," says Penn's Dr. Katherine O'Neill.
賓夕法尼亞大學的凱瑟琳·奧尼爾醫生說:“還有其他試驗對象沒能產下活胎。
"We have a long way to go."
我們還有很長的路要走。”
And costs have ranged from $60,000to $250,000 and they are not covered by insurance.
費用從60000美元到250000美元不等,并且不包含在保險范圍內。