But there's really not much else.
除此之外,也沒什么其它東西了。
As a result, most of my colleagues who are astronomers spent at least part of their youth looking up at the sky in their backyard.
我的大多數天文學家同事們,至少都有過一段夜晚在自家后院數星星的童年時光。
I never really had that experience, and, as a result, I'm really disappointing on camping trips.
而我卻從未有過那種經歷,所以在露營旅途中,我的表現令人大失所望。
I don't really know many constellations.
關于星座方面的知識極其有限。
The ones I do know, you probably know them, too.
而我所知道的為數不多的幾個星座,相信在座的各位也都耳熟能詳。
But I'll never forget that experience of the first time I saw the dark night sky.
但我永遠不會忘記平生第一次看到夜空的經歷。
And I was just flabbergasted at how many stars there were. And I felt tiny.
那漫天的繁星深深震撼了我,讓我感到自己無比渺小。
Then I also felt like, "Where's this been hiding this whole time? Who's been hiding this sky from me?"
接下來,我就有了這樣的疑惑:這些奇景一直以來被藏在了哪里?是誰藏匿了這樣的天空?
Of course, the answer is obvious if you think about it or if you look at the picture on the left,
不過仔細一想,答案其實顯而易見,或者看一下左邊的照片就明白了,
where you're seeing the same neighborhood taken during a blackout versus on an ordinary night.
這是同一街區停電時拍攝的夜空,右邊是普通夜晚拍攝的夜空照片。
You can't see the stars if you drown them out with light.
當星星被燈光淹沒時,你自然就看不到它們。
Take a look at our planet. This is our planet from space.
現在請審視一下我們的地球,這是從太空拍攝的地球。
Unlike stars, which are hot and glow invisible light so we can see them,
恒星發出熱量和不可見光,所以我們能看到它們,
our planet is, astronomically speaking, pretty cold. So it doesn't really glow.
而地球與恒星不同,從天文學上講,地球很冷,所以其自身并不發光。
When you see the planet looking like a blue-green marble the way it does in this picture,
當你看到圖中展現的這顆如藍綠色大理石般的地球時,
you're seeing it because the sunlight is reflecting off of it,
你能看見它是因為它反射了太陽光的緣故。
and that's why you can see the oceans, the clouds, the land.
這也是為什么你能看到海洋、云朵和陸地。
So if the sun wasn't shining on it, we wouldn't be able to see the earth, right? Or would we?
也就是說,如果沒有太陽的照射,我們就看不到地球了,對嗎?或者,我們依然能看到它?