"And what business have you here?" she continued. "It is not your place.
“你在這兒干什么?”她繼續說。“這不是你呆的地方。
Mary and I sit in the kitchen sometimes, because at home we like to be free, even to license
瑪麗和我有時在廚房里坐坐,因為在家里我們愛隨便些,甚至有些放肆,
but you are a visitor, and must go into the parlour."
但你是客人,得到客廳去。”
"I am very well here."
“我在這兒很舒服。”
"Not at all -- with Hannah bustling about and covering you with flour."
“一點也不--漢娜忙這忙那,會把面粉沾在你身上。”
"Besides, the fire is too hot for you," interposed Mary.
“另外,火爐對你也有些太熱,”瑪麗插嘴說。
"To be sure," added her sister. "Come, you must be obedient."
“沒有錯,”她姐姐補充說。“來吧,你得聽話。”
And still holding my hand she made me rise, and led me into the inner room.
她一面握著我的手一面拉我起來,領進內室。
"Sit there," she said, placing me on the sofa, "while we take our things off and get the tea ready;
“那兒坐著吧,”她說著把我安頓在沙發上,“我們來脫掉衣服,準備好茶點。
it is another privilege we exercise in our little moorland home to prepare our own meals when we are so inclined,
在沼澤居小家庭中享受的另一個特權,是自己準備飯菜,那往往是想要這么干,
or when Hannah is baking, brewing, washing, or ironing."
或者漢娜忙著烘烤,調制、燙衣的時候。”
She closed the door, leaving me solus with Mr. St. John, who sat opposite, a book or newspaper in his hand.
她關了門,留下我與圣·約翰先生單獨呆著,他坐在我對面,手里捧著一本書或一張報紙。
I examined first, the parlour, and then its occupant.
我先是打量了一下客廳。隨后再看看廳主人。