She opened her eyes wide. "Whatever cannot ye keep yourself for, then?"
她眼睛睜得大大的。“那你為什么還養不活自己呢?”
"I have kept myself; and, I trust, shall keep myself again. What are you going to do with these gooseberries?"
“我養活了自己,而且我相信以后還能養活自己。拿這些鵝莓干什么呀?”
I inquired, as she brought out a basket of the fruit.
她拎出一籃子鵝莓時我問。
"Mak' 'em into pies."
“做餅。”
"Give them to me and I'll pick them."
“給我吧,我來揀。”
"Nay; I dunnut want ye to do nought."
“不,我什么也不要你干。”
"But I must do something. Let me have them."
“但我總得干點什么。還是讓我來吧。”
She consented; and she even brought me a clean towel to spread over my dress, "lest," as she said, "I should mucky it."
她同意了,甚至還拿來一塊干凈的毛巾鋪在我衣服上,一面還說:“怕你把衣服弄臟了。”
"Ye've not been used to sarvant's wark, I see by your hands," she remarked. "Happen ye've been a dressmaker?"
“你不是干慣傭人活的,從你的手上看得出來,”她說,“也許是個裁縫吧?”
"No, you are wrong. And now, never mind what I have been:
“不是,你猜錯啦,現在別管我以前是干什么的。
don't trouble your head further about me; but tell me the name of the house where we are."
不要為我再去傷你的腦筋,不過告訴我你們這所房子叫什么名字。”
"Some calls it Marsh End, and some calls it Moor House."
“有人叫它沼澤居,有人叫它沼澤宅。”