"Where are the architects?" Paul said.
“建筑師在哪兒呢?”Paul說道。
If hospitals are making people sicker,
如果一個醫院令人們生病,
where are the architects and designers to help us build and design hospitals that allow us to heal?
那么幫助建筑和設計那些可以讓人痊愈的醫院的設計師和建筑師又在哪兒呢?
That following summer, I was in the back of a Land Rover with a few classmates,
那個接下來的暑期,我和幾個同學一起開著路虎,
bumping over the mountainous hillside of Rwanda.
在盧旺達的山嶺間穿越顛簸。
For the next year, I'd be living in Butaro in this old guesthouse, which was a jail after the genocide.
因為來年,我將居住在Butaro這所老客房內,這是種族屠殺后的一座監獄。
I was there to design and build a new type of hospital with Dr. Farmer and his team.
我在那里與Farmer醫生和他的團隊,一起設計和建造一種新型的醫院。
If hallways are making patients sicker,
如果大廳會使病人病情加重,
what if we could design a hospital that flips the hallways on the outside, and makes people walk in the exterior?
那么我們能夠設計一種醫院可以把大廳向露天敞開,使人們在外面走動嗎?
If mechanical systems rarely work, what if we could design a hospital
如果機械系統不工作,那么我們是否可以設計一種醫院,
that could breathe through natural ventilation, and meanwhile reduce its environmental footprint?
能通過自然通風而呼吸,同時減少它的環境足跡?
And what about the patients' experience?
還有病人的體驗將會怎樣呢?
Evidence shows that a simple view of nature can radically improve health outcomes.
證據顯示簡單的自然景象,能夠從根本上提高總體健康。
So why couldn't we design a hospital where every patient had a window with a view?
所以為什么我們不能設計一種醫院,使每位病人有一面窗戶?
Simple, site-specific designs can make a hospital that heals.
簡單、特定的設計能建造一個治愈的醫院。
Designing it is one thing; getting it built, we learned, is quite another.
設計是一件事,建造它是另一件事。