So which brings me back to Felix. OK, I left him suspended in the air, right?
說到這兒,我再回過頭說說費利克斯。呃,我讓他懸在了空中,不是嗎?
After leaping into the great unknown, he went into a free fall.
在跳進無盡的未知世界后,他開始了自由落體運動。
And all went well for seven seconds.
前七秒一切都很順利。
In the eighth second, Felix had accelerated to six hundred miles an hour and he began to spin violently.
到了第八秒,費利克斯加速到每小時600英里,他開始劇烈旋轉。
He was still in an uncontrollable spin when he broke the sound barrier.
當他突破音障時,他還處在無法控制的旋轉中。
Now he says, it turns out the most terrifying part was not the leap;
如今他說,原來最可怕的不是往下跳,
it was trying to get his bearings and to right himself.
而是努力弄清自己的方位并讓自己恢復正常。
Once again, Felix provides the perfect metaphor to after-college life.
對于大學畢業后的生活,費利克斯又給出了一個恰當的比喻。
Each of you will head off onto your own unique path.
你們每個人都將踏上自己獨一無二的旅途。
You may have different goals, but there is one thing you will all have in common:
你們的目標可能各不相同,但有一點是你們所有人共通的:
it's one hundred percent certain, a hundred percent, that you will all have significant challenges in your life.
這一點是百分之百確定的,百分之一百,那就是你們會在人生中遇到重大的挑戰。
You will spin out and you will struggle to right yourself.
你們會失去方向,然后你們會盡力恢復正常。
And you know the best way to confront those inevitable life challenges and struggles? Just add bravery.
你們知道應對生活中這些不可避免的挑戰和掙扎的最佳方法是什么嗎?就是再勇敢點。
And that won't always mean charging the hill with fist in the air: sometimes it will mean not charging the hill.
這并非總是意味著要揮舞拳頭往山上沖:有時這意味著不往山上沖。