About two o'clock p.m. I entered the village.
約摸下午兩點,我進了村莊。
At the bottom of its one street there was a little shop with some cakes of bread in the window.
一條街的盡頭開著一個小店,窗里放著一些面包。
I coveted a cake of bread.
我對一塊面包很眼饞。
With that refreshment I could perhaps regain a degree of energy:
有那樣一塊點心,我也許還能恢復一點力氣,
without it, it would be difficult to proceed.
要是沒有,再往前走就困難了。
The wish to have some strength and some vigour returned to me as soon as I was amongst my fellow-beings.
一回到我的同類之間,心頭便又升起了要恢復精力的愿望。
I felt it would be degrading to faint with hunger on the causeway of a hamlet.
我覺得昏倒在一個小村的大路上很丟臉。
Had I nothing about me I could offer in exchange for one of these rolls? I considered.
難道我身上就連換取幾塊面包的東西都沒有了嗎?我想了一想。
I had a small silk handkerchief tied round my throat; I had my gloves.
我有一小塊絲綢圍巾圍在脖子上,還有一雙手套。
I could hardly tell how men and women in extremities of destitution proceeded.
我難以表達貧困潦倒中的男女是怎么度日的。
I did not know whether either of these articles would be accepted: probably they would not; but I must try.
我不知道這兩件東西是否會被人接受,可能他們不會要,但我得試一試。