So how can this be? Well, in our research,
這是為什么呢?在我們的研究里,
we've found that these changes are grounded fundamentally in the uniquely human ability to monitor time
我們發現這些改變在最基本上植根于人類監控時間的獨特能力,
not just clock time and calendar time, but lifetime.
不光是時鐘的時間和日歷的時間,更是生命的時間。
And if there's a paradox of aging,
如果說老齡化悖論成立,
it's that recognizing that we won't live forever changes our perspective on life in positive ways.
那也是因為我們認識到生命易逝,而使我們把人生觀變得更積極。
When time horizons are long and nebulous, as they typically are in youth, people are constantly preparing,
人生的終點遙遠又朦朧,年輕時通常都這么想,人們就會一直躍躍欲試,
trying to soak up all the information they possibly can, taking risks, exploring.
試圖盡可能地去吸收信息、承擔風險、探索未知。
We might spend time with people we don't even like because it's somehow interesting.
我們可能會跟不喜歡的人共度時光,因為感覺這挺有趣。
We might learn something unexpected. We go on blind dates.
我們也許不經意間學到一些不該學的東西。我們去相親。
You know, after all, if it doesn't work out, there's always tomorrow.
畢竟,就算失敗了,也還有明天。
People over 50 don't go on blind dates.
超過50歲的人,就不會去相親了。