These words cut me: yet what could I do or I say?
這些話使我感到難受,可是我能做什么,說什么呢?
I ought probably to have done or said nothing;
也許我應當什么也別做,什么也別說。
but I was so tortured by a sense of remorse at thus hurting his feelings,
但是我被悔恨折磨著,因為我傷了他的感情,
I could not control the wish to drop balm where I had wounded.
我無法抑制自己的愿望,在我制造的傷口上貼上膏藥。
"I do love you," I said, "more than ever:
“我確實愛你,”我說,“從來沒有這么愛過。
but I must not show or indulge the feeling: and this is the last time I must express it."
但我決不能表露或縱容這種感情。這是我最后一次表達了。”
"The last time, Jane! What! Do you think you can live with me, and see me daily,
“最后一次,簡!什么!你認為可以跟我住在一起,天天看到我,
and yet, if you still love me, be always cold and distant?"
而同時要是仍愛我,卻又經常保持冷漠和疏遠嗎?”
"No, sir; that I am certain I could not;
“不,先生,我肯定不行,
and therefore I see there is but one way: but you will be furious if I mention it."
因此我認為只有一個辦法,但要是我說出來,你準會發火?!?/div>
"Oh, mention it! If I storm, you have the art of weeping."
“噢,說吧!我就是大發雷霆,你也有哭哭啼啼的本事。”
"Mr. Rochester, I must leave you."
“羅切斯特先生,我得離開你。”
"For how long, Jane? For a few minutes, while you smooth your hair -- which is somewhat dishevelled;
“離開多久,簡?幾分鐘工夫吧,梳理一下你有些蓬亂的頭發,
and bathe your face -- which looks feverish?"
洗一下你看上去有些發燒的臉嗎?”
"I must leave Adèle and Thornfield. I must part with you for my whole life:
“我得離開阿黛勒和桑菲爾德。我得永生永世離開你。
I must begin a new existence among strange faces and strange scenes."
我得在陌生的面孔和陌生的環境中開始新的生活?!?/p>