Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Mark, what were you up to during the May holiday?
京晶:馬克,五一假期你都干什么了?
Mark: Well, it was really May day for me. I had to work every day except for one that week.
馬克:嗯,對我而言還真是個“五月一天”啊,我那周除了一天之外都在工作。
Jingjing: Wow, so it wasn't much of a holiday for you.
京晶:哇哦,那對你而言,不怎么算個假期了。
Mark: Yeah, with all the make-up days, I was actually busier. Now that we're back to a normal schedule, I still have lots of catching up to do. What about you?
馬克:是啊,調休那幾天,我還更忙了。現在既然咱們都回歸正常日程了,我仍然還有好些事要做。你呢?
Jingjing: Hmm, on the topic of work, I had a lot of projects that needed to be finished before the holiday. So, afterwards, it's been less of a madhouse.
京晶:說到工作這話題,我有好幾個節前必須完成的項目。所以節后就沒那么混亂抓狂。
Mark: It's good that you got your work done before the deadline.
馬克:很好啊你趕在期限之內把工作完成了。
Jingjing: Too right! I like to come back to a clear desk.
京晶:太對了!我喜歡回到一張清爽的辦公桌前。
Mark: Did you go anywhere?
馬克:去哪兒了嗎?
Jingjing: I did, actually. My group of old classmates and I spent two nights at the coast.
京晶:還真去了。我和一幫老同學去海邊住了兩晚。
Mark: This is a good time of year for it. Where did you stay?
馬克:這個季節去海邊還不錯啊,住在哪兒?
Jingjing: Nandaihe. Have you heard of it?
京晶:南戴河。你聽說過嗎?
Mark: Um, I've heard of Beidaihe. Are those two places near each other?
馬克:嗯,我聽說過北戴河。這倆地離得近嗎?
Jingjing: They're neigboring cities. We stayed in Nandaihe because it was quieter. On the first evening, and for most of the whole day that we had there, we were kicking it at Beidaihe though.
京晶:鄰近城市。我們住在南戴河因為更安靜一些,第一晚,和第一天的大多數時候,我們都在北戴河玩兒。
Mark: Did you have lots of seafood?
馬克:有沒有吃很多海鮮?
Jingjing: You bet. We totally pigged out! We went to a market to pick out the stuff, and then took it next door to a restaurant and had them cook it for us.
京晶:那必須的。我們簡直大吃特吃!我們去市場挑選些東西,然后帶到隔壁餐館讓他們給我們做來吃。
Mark: That sounds like a good deal.
馬克:聽上去是個好買賣。
Jingjing: They weren't exactly giving it away. But since there were so many of us, we had a big feast.
京晶:也不是便宜賣了,但因為我們人挺多,我們享用了一頓盛宴。
New words : 習語短語
madhouse 繁忙的辦公室
a very busy office
kick it 玩,放松,逛,休閑
hang out, relax
pig out 大吃特吃,饕餮
overeat
give it away 便宜賣了
sell something for much less money than usual
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: So, Mark, did you get out and do anything on that one day you had off?
京晶:那馬克,你唯一休息那天出門做點了啥嗎?
Mark: You could probably guess: I went for a hike with my wife.
馬克:你也許能猜到了:我和太太去遠足了。
Jingjing: Oh, you and your hiking.
京晶:哦,你和你的常態遠足活動。
Mark: Hey, this is the first time I've set foot on a mountain so far this year.
馬克:嘿,這可是今年我第一次抬腳上山呢。
Jingjing: Where'd you go?
京晶:你們去哪兒了呢?
Mark: We went to Phoenix Mountain. That's just outside the city limits. There was a new trail that opened up. So, even though we've been there 3 or 4 times, it was good to go again.
馬克:我們去了鳳凰嶺。就在城邊兒上。有一條新開發的上山路,所以雖然我們都已經去過3-4次了,再去一次也挺好的。
Jingjing: Did you get sunburned or sore?
京晶:有沒有曬傷或者腰酸背痛啊?
Mark: I got a bit of a tan, but wore a collar shirt to keep my neck from getting red. And, yeah, I got pretty sore. My legs were hurting the second day after the hike. It was hard to go up and down stairs.
馬克:我有點曬黑了,但穿了件有領兒的襯衫保護脖子不變紅,還有就是,對,我真的全身酸痛。第二天兩腿就開始疼起來,上下樓梯都困難。
Jingjing: You're turning into an old man, Mark. You'd better get more exercise.
京晶:你都變成老年人嘍,馬克。你最好多多鍛煉。
Mark: You're telling me. I used to work at a kindergarten a few days a week. That kept me slim. Now I have a pot belly and some of my pants don't fit.
馬克:沒錯啊。我過去在一家幼兒園一周工作幾天,那工作讓我保持苗條,現在我都有大肚子了,有些褲子都穿不上了。
Jingjing: Well, you could go with your wife to her dance studio.
京晶:那你可以跟你太太去她的舞室呀。
Mark: That'd be a hoot. I'm such a klutz. It's hard for me to learn new dance steps.
馬克:那可真是笑人了。我這么個笨手笨腳的家伙,學點兒新舞步對我來說可真是太難了。
Jingjing: How about you join a gym, or try walking around the city?
京晶:去加入個健身房怎么樣?或者沿著城市走路?
Mark: Walking is a good idea. I have a set of weights at home. I just need to use them.
馬克:走走路到是個好主意。我家還有一套啞鈴,我只需要把他們用起來。
Jingjing: There you go, Mark. Summer is coming. Everybody needs to whip
themselves into shape and shed that winter fat.
京晶:這就對了嘛,馬克。夏天來啦,人人都需要積極瘦身健體,甩掉冬天的肥肉肉嘍。
Mark: Ok. Next time you see me, I'll be fit as a fiddle.
馬克:好啊,下一次你見我的時候,我已形美如提琴。
New words : 習語短語
you and your ____ 你和你的常態活動
you're always using/doing your ____
city limits 城鄉結合處
near the city but outside of the urban area, the edge of a major city
pot belly 大肚皮,啤酒肚
big belly (especially for someone who isn't fat all over)
klutz 笨手笨腳的人
clumsy person
whip (oneself) into shape 短期內瘦身
become healthy and athletic in a short time
fit as a fiddle 好身材,健康的形體
very healthy