"Yet are you not capricious, sir?"
“你不再反反復復了,先生?”
"To women who please me only by their faces, I am the very devil when I find out they have neither souls nor hearts
“對那些光靠容貌吸引我的女人,一旦我發現她們既沒有靈魂也沒有良心,
when they open to me a perspective of flatness, triviality, and perhaps imbecility, coarseness, and ill-temper:
一旦她們向我展示乏味、淺薄,也許還有愚蠢、粗俗和暴躁,我便成了真正的魔鬼。
but to the clear eye and eloquent tongue, to the soul made of fire,
但是對眼明口快的,對心靈如火的,
and the character that bends but does not break -- at once supple and stable, tractable and consistent
對既柔順而又穩重、既馴服而又堅強,可彎而不可折的性格,
I am ever tender and true."
我會永遠溫柔和真誠。”
"Had you ever experience of such a character, sir? Did you ever love such an one?"
“你遇到過這樣的性格嗎,先生?你愛上過這樣的性格嗎?”
"I love it now."
“我現在愛它了。”
"But before me: if I, indeed, in any respect come up to your difficult standard?"
“在我以前呢,假如我真的在各方面都符合你那苛刻的標準?”
"I never met your likeness. Jane, you please me, and you master me
“我從來沒有遇到過可以跟你相提并論的人,簡,你使我愉快,使我傾倒,
you seem to submit, and I like the sense of pliancy you impart;
你似乎很順從,而我喜歡你給人的能屈能伸的感覺;
and while I am twining the soft, silken skein round my finger, it sends a thrill up my arm to my heart.
我把一束柔軟的絲線,繞過手指時,一陣顫栗,從我的胳膊涌向我心里。
I am influenced -- conquered; and the influence is sweeter than I can express;
我受到了感染--我被征服了。這種感染之甜蜜,不是我所能表達,
and the conquest I undergo has a witchery beyond any triumph I can win.
這種被征服感之魅力,遠勝于我贏得的任何勝利。
Why do you smile, Jane? What does that inexplicable, that uncanny turn of countenance mean?"
你為什么笑了,簡?你那令人費解、不可思議的表情變化,有什么含義?”