Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Hey Mark, are you doing anything special for Women's Day?
京晶:嗨,馬克,婦女節要做點什么特別的事嗎?
Mark: That's this week, isn't it? What day of the week will it be?
馬克:就是這周了,對嗎?周幾呢?
Jingjing: March 8th is Friday this year.
京晶:今年的三月八日是周五。
Mark: Well then, I'd better buy flowers today or tomorrow, then stash them in the house so my wife doesn't see them until the day.
馬克:那么,我最好今天或明天買些花,然后把它們藏在家里,過節那天再讓我太太看見。
Jingjing: Why not buy them on Friday?
京晶:為什么不在周五買呢?
Mark: The prices always get jacked up on holidays. Besides, she can see them first thing in the morning, that way.
馬克:價格總是在節假日被抬高。并且,這樣她就可以在早晨第一時間看到它們。
Jingjing: Bless your heart! You're not just a miser, but a thoughtful one.
京晶:保佑你這顆美好的心靈!你不僅僅是個吝嗇鬼,而且是個體貼人的吝嗇鬼。
Mark: What about you, Jingjing?
馬克:你呢,京晶?
Jingjing: I'll do what I usually do: get together with some friends for a good dinner.
京晶:我就和平常一樣吧,和朋友們聚在一起吃頓好的。
Mark: Don't fix what ain't broken, eh?
馬克:不變挺好(維持現狀即可),對吧?
Jingjing: I know you like to read, Mark. Are you reading any books by female authors?
京晶:我知道你喜歡閱讀,馬克。你讀過女性作家的書嗎?
Mark: The book I'm reading now just happens to be written by a woman. I didn't pick it for that, though. It was just next on my list.
馬克:我現在讀的書恰好就是一位女性寫的。我也沒特意選擇,只是我書單上的下一本而已。
Jingjing: And who would you say are some of the most influential women?
京晶:你認為最有影響力的女性都有哪些?
Mark: Well, I think women make great talk show hosts. Just look at Oprah Winfrey and Ellen Degeneres. Their shows have been running longer than most.
馬克:嗯,我覺得女性能做很棒的脫口秀主持人??纯磰W普拉·溫弗莉和艾倫·德杰尼勒斯,她們節目的運行時間比其他人做的都要長久。
Jingjing: I agree. I like to think about all the female scientists and scholars.
京晶:我同意。我傾向于考慮所有那些女性科學家和學者。
Mark: Right, like Jane Goodall, who you interviewed on the radio.
馬克:對,就像你在電臺采訪的珍.古道爾。
Jingjing: Oh, yeah. Thanks for reminding me of that. That was a good interview.
京晶:哦,是的。多謝你提醒我。那是一次很棒的采訪。
Mark: My pleasure!
馬克:不客氣!
New words : 習語短語
jacked up (價格)被抬高
raised, made expensive
Bless your heart! 別人做了好事之后的稱贊恭維
(a way of complementing someone when they've done something nice)
Don't fix what ain't broken! 別修沒壞的東西,維持現狀
don't change something if it works well
just happens to be 碰巧、恰好
about their identity (male, female, black, white), but it isn't what matters
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: So, do you know how Women's Day got its start as a holiday?
京晶:那么,你知道婦女節是怎么來的嗎?
Mark: Well, I was reading about it earlier this week.
馬克:嗯,周前我還了解了一些呢。
Jingjing: Yeah? And what'd you find out?
京晶:哦?你發現了什么嗎?
Mark: It began in the early part of the 20th century. It was organized around suffrage movements.
馬克:它始于20世紀初,是圍繞著選舉權運動組織起來的。
Jingjing: Wow, I didn't know it had to do with the right to vote. But I guess that makes sense.
京晶:哇,我不知道這和選舉權有什么關系,但我想它是有道理的。
Mark: Yes. In North America, Europe, and Russia, women had conferences. It was in Germany that they celebrated the first Women's Day on March 8th.
馬克:是的,在北美,歐洲和俄羅斯,婦女舉行了會議。3月8日,他們在德國慶祝了第一個婦女節。
Jingjing: That was in 1914, wasn't it?
京晶:那是1914年,是嗎?
Mark: Exactly. So, the holiday is more than a hundred years old.
馬克:正是。所以這個節日已經有一百多年歷史了。
Jingjing: Right: a century of celebrations!
京晶:對,百年慶典!
Mark: Right, yeah.
馬克:對,是的。
Jingjing: ...So, between Oprah and Ellen, who do you think will be remembered more in the future?
京晶:......那么,奧普拉和艾倫,你覺得將來誰會被人們更多銘記?
Mark: Good question. Personally, I like Ellen's dry sense of humor.
馬克:好問題。就我個人而言,我喜歡艾倫的冷幽默。
Jingjing: Oprah has a good sense of humor too.
京晶:奧普拉也很幽默。
Mark: She sure does. And she has more range. I think that'll get her in the books as the best interviewer.
馬克:她確實有。她的變化延伸維度更廣。我想這會讓她成為被載入史冊的最好的采訪者。
Jingjing: I'm a fan of both hosts. I agree that Oprah has different ways of dealing with different people.
京晶:我是她倆的粉絲。我贊同奧普拉有本事用不同的方式對待不同的人(被采訪者)。
Mark: Well, let's hope there are more famous female media personalities in the future.
馬克:好的,希望將來有更多著名的女性媒體人物。
Jingjing: I bet there will be!
京晶:肯定會的!
New words : 習語短語
century 世紀
a hundred years
suffrage 選舉權
the right to vote, equal voting rights
conference a big meeting 大型會議
dry sense of humor 冷幽默
telling jokes in a serious way without laughing
range 范圍,廣度,多樣性
being able to express oneself in very different ways (and sing high and low notes)