I knew the morning of the 26th that there was something wrong.
26號那天早晨我就知道出事了。
You could feel it.
感都感覺得到。
It was just a sea of fire coming over the hill burning into the city.
當時完全就是一片火海從山上向城市這邊滾滾而來。
From the hospital you could see almost the whole entire thing.
從醫院這邊幾乎可以整個火海。
My name is Ed Zawada.
我是艾德·扎瓦達。
I am a staff physician at Mercy Medical Center.
是美慈醫療中心的一名醫生。
I provide care for kidney patients and ICU patients.
工作內容是治療和護理腎臟病患者和ICU的患者。
My name's Kenneth Luke.
我是肯尼斯·盧克。
I am the Disaster Infectious Diseases and Base Station Coordinator.
是美慈醫療中心的災難傳染病和基站協調員。
The fire took on a life of its own.
那場火災仿佛有了自己的生命一樣。
We kept hearing that this fire was continuing to spread.
我們不斷地聽到火勢在繼續蔓延的消息。
This is a city of around 90,000 people.
這是一座大約有著9萬人口的城市。
Thirty thousand people were evacuated.
有3萬人都被疏散了。
The red area on this map is the complete burn from the fire
地圖上這片紅色的區域是被那場大火徹底燒毀了的區域,
with the winds being so high and so fast
因為當時火勢實在太過迅猛,
it actually blew embers over to the other side of the river,
有火苗直接被吹到了這條河的對岸,

which was where a majority of the homes were burned.
燒毀的房屋里有大部分對岸的房屋,那些房屋就是這么燒毀的。
I finally planted those roses in the front of the house and after the fire, they were a puddle of melted plastic.
我好不容易才在家門前種了那些玫瑰,大火過后,它們全都變成了一灘融化的塑料。
That was what was left of our house.
我們家在那場大火中被燒成了這樣。
I knew there'd be damage but total destruction?
我知道大火過后,財產損失肯定是免不了的,可燒得一干二凈?
People were surprised that Ed went back to work the next day.
火災過后的第二天艾德就回去上班了,對此大家都吃了一驚。
You can't sit around and mope.
坐在那兒消沉有什么用呢。
All that's left now is the present and the future and that's not a bad thing.
現在只剩下現在和未來了,所以還不算糟糕。
Human kindness was displayed throughout this whole entire event.
人類的善良也在整個事件中得到了充分的體現。
Many, many staff lost their homes or evacuated and just came to work
很多員工都失去了他們的家園或者被疏散走了,他們也都回來工作了,
because they knew that the patients still needed to be taken care of.
因為他們知道病人們還在等著他們照顧。
They knew that the communities still needed us.
知道社區仍然需要我們。
From administration to staff, they were gonna find a way to help and they did.
從公司的管理層到員工,大家都需要想辦法貢獻自己的一份力量,他們做到了。
We set up an employee assistance program;
我們設立了員工援助計劃;
we had a lot a of counselors come in and set up regular counseling.
我們請來了很多心理咨詢師為大家提供定期的咨詢。
They set up funds to help reimburse employees to get them back on their feet.
他們還設立了基金幫助補償員工,讓他們重新振作起來。
They made supplies available, made some support available, made some money available.
他們提供了物資,提供了支持,提供了資金。
Anybody who was evacuated, anybody who lost their home, they helped them out.
任何被疏散的人,任何失去家園的人,我們都會想辦法幫助他們。
Why are we here if it's not to help each other?
如果不是為了互相幫助,那我們活在這個世界上干嘛?
Human kindness, I think is the responsibility of every person on this planet.
我認為,有人情味兒,是這個星球上每個人的責任。