I work on helping computers communicate about the world around us.
我致力于協助電腦和我們周圍世界的溝通。
There are a lot of ways to do this, and I like to focus on helping computers to talk about what they see and understand.
是有很多方法可以做到這一點,我喜歡專注于協助電腦去談論它們看到和理解的內容。
Given a scene like this, a modern computer-vision algorithm can tell you that there's a woman and there's a dog.
鑒于這樣的情景,一個現代的計算機視覺演算法,可以告訴你,有一個女人,還有一只狗。
It can tell you that the woman is smiling.
它可以告訴你,那個女人在微笑。
It might even be able to tell you that the dog is incredibly cute.
它甚至可以告訴你,這只狗非常可愛。
I work on this problem thinking about how humans understand and process the world.
我處理這個問題,思考人類如何理解和與世界共處。
The thoughts, memories and stories that a scene like this might evoke for humans.
那些思想、記憶和故事,在這樣的場景中,可能會喚起人類的注意。
All the interconnections of related situations.
所有關連情況的相互聯系。
Maybe you've seen a dog like this one before, or you've spent time running on a beach like this one,
也許你以前見過這樣的狗,或者你曾經花時間,在這樣的沙灘上跑步,
and that further evokes thoughts and memories of a past vacation,
并進一步喚起過去假期的記憶和想法,
past times to the beach, times spent running around with other dogs.
以前去海灘的時候,花在與其他狗兒跑來跑去的時間。
One of my guiding principles is that by helping computers to understand what it's like to have these experiences,
我的指導原則之一,是通過幫助電腦了解這是什么樣的經歷,
to understand what we share and believe and feel,
從而了解我們所相信的和感受的共通點,
then we're in a great position to start evolving computer technology in a way that's complementary with our own experiences.
那么我們就有能力開始不斷發展計算機技術,以一種與我們經驗互補的方式。