And this turned out to be a little more dramatic than we expected it to be,
這個結果比我們想的要更有戲劇性,
because none of the participants would even so much as strike these baby dinosaur robots,
因為甚至沒有一個參與者去攻擊這些小恐龍機器人,
so we had to improvise a little, and at some point, we said,
所以我們得臨時湊合一下,在某個時候,我們說,
"OK, you can save your team's robot if you destroy another team's robot."
“好吧,你可以保住你們隊的機器人,但前提是把其它隊的機器人毀掉。”
And even that didn't work. They couldn't do it.
即便這樣也沒用,他們不愿意去做。
So finally, we said, "We're going to destroy all of the robots unless someone takes a hatchet to one of them."
所以最后,我們說,“我們將要毀掉所有的機器人,除非有人拿短柄斧砍掉它們中的一個。”

And this guy stood up, and he took the hatchet, and the whole room winced as he brought the hatchet down on the robot's neck,
有個人站了起來,他拿起斧頭,當他把斧頭砍到機器人的脖子上時,整個房間的人都縮了回去,
and there was this half-joking, half-serious moment of silence in the room for this fallen robot.
房間中出現了一個為這個倒下的機器人半玩笑半嚴肅的沉默時刻。
So that was a really interesting experience.
那真是一個有趣的體驗。
Now, it wasn't a controlled study, obviously,
它不是一個對照實驗,顯然不是,
but it did lead to some later research that I did at MIT with Palash Nandy and Cynthia Breazeal,
但這引發了我后來在麻省理工跟帕拉什·南迪和辛西婭·布雷西亞爾做的研究,
where we had people come into the lab and smash these HEXBUGs that move around in a really lifelike way, like insects.
我們讓來到實驗室的人們打碎這些像活生生的昆蟲那樣移動的遙控電子甲蟲。
So instead of choosing something cute that people are drawn to, we chose something more basic,
與選擇人們喜歡的可愛東西相比,我們選擇了一些更基本的東西,
and what we found was that high-empathy people would hesitate more to hit the HEXBUGS.
我們發現富有同情心的人們在擊碎這些機器昆蟲時要更加猶豫。