Sonnets 43 from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
《葡萄牙人的十四行詩集》第43首,作者:伊麗莎白·芭蕾特·布朗寧
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
我是怎樣地愛你?讓我逐一細算。
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
我愛你盡我的心靈所能及到的
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
深邃、寬廣和高度 — 正像我探求
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
玄冥中上帝的存在和深厚的神恩。
I love thee to the level of every day’s
我愛你的程度
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
就像日光和燭焰下,那每天不用說得的需要,
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
我不加思慮地愛你,就像男子們為正義而斗爭;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
我純潔地愛你,像他們在贊美前低頭。
I love thee with a passion put to use
我愛你,以滿懷的熱情,就像
In my old griefs, and with my childhoods faith.
往日滿腔的辛酸,以我童年的信仰
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
我愛你,抵得上那似乎隨著消失的圣者
With my lost saints, — I love thee with the breath,
而消逝的愛慕 — 我愛你以我終生的呼吸,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! — and, if God choose,
微笑和淚珠 — 假使是上帝的意志,那么
I shall but love thee better after death.
我死后還要更加愛你。