Life on the island is not easy, and it's not a place where you come to get rich.
島上的生活并不容易,也不能讓你發家致富。
But it's a better lifestyle. So it's a happier lifestyle.
但這里的生活方式更好。也更幸福。
With so few people on the island, everybody has to have multiple jobs to keep the island afloat with everybody else.
由于島上的人很少,所以每個人都必須身兼多職才能維持小島上的日常生活。
Welcome to North Ronaldsay, a small remote island off the northern reaches of Scotland.
歡迎來到北羅納德賽島,這是蘇格蘭北部的一個偏遠小島。
Home to around 50 people, two lighthouses, an airport, some sheep, cattle, and a few seals; and that's about it.
島上只有將近50個居民,兩個燈塔,一個機場,一些羊,牛和一些海豹;差不多就這些了。
Not much of a labor force.
島上勞動力不多。
So while on the mainland you might have one, maybe two jobs, up here it's more like six or seven.
所以,在大陸你可能有一份或者兩份工作,在這里一個人很可能要做六七份工作。
Meet Sarah Moore.
歡迎莎拉·摩爾。
My name is Sarah Moore. I've got quite a few jobs on the island:
我是莎拉·摩爾。我在島上有很多份工作:
I'm a home carer, a clerk to the community council.
我是一名看護,也是社區委員會的書記。
I work at the airfield--baggage handler and firefighter.
我還在機場工作——是我們機場的行李搬運和消防員。
I've got a flock of sheep, and I'm a postie on the island.
我還有一群羊要照顧,同時也是島上的郵差。
Really, the job is being an islander, which is just muckin' in and helping with various bits and pieces.
我的工作其實就是當一個島民,說白了就是給大家搭把手,不管是什么事情。
And no two days are ever the same.
我的生活沒有哪兩天是重樣的。
I could be helping with cattle one day and fixing a roof the other day, and...
今天我可能在放牛,明天則可能在幫忙修屋頂,以此類推……
It's whatever the islanders need help with. You just muck in.
反正就是島民們需要你干嘛你就去干嘛。
Logan727, North Ronaldsay Ob. Your wind is 184 degrees.
洛根727,北羅納德賽島。風向為184度。
Safety is a number one priority on North Ronaldsay.
安全是北羅納德賽島的首要任務。

Thankfully, we've never had an emergency; so hopefully, we'll keep it that way.
值得慶幸的是,我們從未遇到過險情;也希望我們能夠繼續保持下去。
I moved to the island about three and half years ago from Edinburgh.
我大約是三年半前從愛丁堡搬來的。
I was not enjoying life there.
我不喜歡那里的生活。
I mean, there's just so many people.
那兒的人實在是太多了。
You (didn't know) anbody; you're completely anonymous. It's quite a lonely place.
你也沒有認識的人;你完全就是個路人甲。那是一個十分孤獨的城市。
Up here my confidence has gained massively because people, they come along and teach you the skills that you need.
來了這里之后我開始信心大增,因為大家會教你你需要的技能。
I certainly never had sheep in Edinburgh.
在愛丁堡的時候我當然是從來沒有養過羊的。
Hello, Sam. Hello.
你好,山姆。你好。
Most people didn't quite understand that when I say I've got, like six jobs, it's not six full-time jobs.
當我說我有六份工作的時候大家其實并沒有太懂我的意思,我并不是說我有六份全職的工作。
I mean, it's not as if I'm working, you know, 24 hours a day.
不是說我一天24個小時都在工作。
There's far more job satisfaction at the end of the day.
一天結束時,你對你的工作是很滿足的。
You can say you've actually accomplished something,
你可以說你實際上是取得了某個成就的,
as opposed to just, you know, "Done the same old thing, day in, day out."
而不是“日復一日重復著同樣的事情?!?/div>
How many houses do you have to deliver to?
你一共要送多少家?
I think it's something like 25 houses on the island that I deliver to.
差不多25家吧。
How long does it take you?
需要多長時間呢?
A few hours. It depends on the amount of post we get.
幾個小時吧。取決于我們收到的郵件數量。
This island is really magical, I mean, it's completely unique in its own way.
這個島真的很神奇,它是那么的獨特,那么的別具一格。
You're neve going to find a place like this, where you can just come up and live the way you are supposed to live.
世界上沒有任何一個像這里一樣能夠按照你自己的生活方式生活的地方。
You know, we're ruled by the weather as opposed to the clock,
在這里,我們是看天而不是看時間吃飯的。
and I have no plans to go anywhere.
我也沒有打算去別的地方。
I'm setting up roots, and I'm gonna be here until I die.
我就要在這里扎根,一直在這里,直到我離開這個世界。
來源:可可英語 http://www.ccdyzl.cn/Article/201811/571701.shtml