Dialogue 1
Mark: Well, Jingjing, we're back to work for a full week. Did you do anything special during the holiday?
馬克:京晶,我們假期歸來又要工作整整一周了。假期里你有沒有做點什么特別的事情?
Jingjing: Actually, I did. You know those classmates of mine that I met just a couple weeks ago on Mid-Autumn Day?
京晶:實際上,的確做了點特別的。你還記得兩周前中秋節時跟我一起聚會的我那些同學嗎?
Mark: I remember. Don't tell me you had hot pot again.
馬克:記得啊。別告訴我,你們又去吃火鍋了。
Jingjing: No. None of us wanted that so soon after last time.
京晶:沒有啦。上次吃完以后,我們都不太想馬上接著又吃。
Mark: So, what'd you end up doing?
馬克:那你這幾天是怎么過的?
Jingjing: Well, most days, I stayed home and caught up on work, and lots of housework.
京晶:其實,我這幾天大部分時間都宅在家里,忙工作的事情,還做了好多家務。
Mark: What about your classmates—did they help with chores around the house?
馬克:那你的那些同學們呢?他們也都幫忙做家務嗎?
Jingjing: Of course not! We went out. One of them had a car, and we all drove to a scenic area and had outdoor BBQ.
京晶:當然不是!我們一起出去玩了。一個同學有車。我們一起自駕到了一個景區,然后在那里戶外燒烤。
Mark: I'm envious. BBQ is one of my favorite ways to eat. But you don't strike me as a carnivore.
馬克:真羨慕你們。戶外燒烤是我特別喜歡的吃法之一。不過,在我印象里,你并不是肉食動物。
Jingjing: I'm certainly not a vegetarian. But I went easy on the meat this time. That was hard to do because there was so much of it.
京晶:我肯定不是個素食主義者。但,這次我這次吃肉時還是比較有節制的。可真正做起來沒那么簡單,因為肉太多了。
Mark: Did your friends order too much?
馬克:是你的朋友點的肉太多了吧?
Jingjing: Kind of. It was one of those places where you go get the raw meat from a buffet and then BBQ it on a grill near your table.
京晶:有點。我們去的就是那種你需要自助取生肉,然后在桌子邊的烤架上自助燒烤的地兒。
Mark: That sounds like quite the cook-out.
馬克:聽起來挺像野炊的。
Jingjing: Yeah, we were there for several hours. My clothes smelled like smoke; and I couldn't get the smell out of my hair until the next day.
京晶:沒錯啊,我們在那呆了好幾個小時。我的衣服上全是煙味,而且頭發上的味道直到第二天才消失。
Mark: Haha. That's BBQ. Well, it was a good way to spend the holiday with friends.
馬克:哈哈,戶外燒烤就是這樣。不過,這的確是一種與朋友們一起度過假期的好方式。
Jingjing: Yeah, we had a ton of fun.
京晶:對啊,我們玩得可開心啦!
New words : 習語短語
envious 羨慕的
wanting something someone else has, a little mad at them because you don't have it
don't strike me as 你看上去不像一個……
You/She/He doesn't seem to be the a ____.
carnivore 肉食動物
a meat-eater (This word is used in biology, along with herbivore and omnivore, to describe the diet of different species.)
vegetarian 素食者
someone who doesn't eat any meat
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: So, Mark, how did you spend your holiday?
京晶:那么,馬克,你的假期是怎么度過的呢?
Mark: Like you, I spend a lot of time catching up on work—almost the whole time. But the weather was so nice that my wife and I insisted on going for a hike one day.
馬克:跟你一樣,大部分時間,不,是幾乎全部時間都在忙工作的事情。但,這幾天的天氣實在太好了,我和妻子決定還是抽出一天時間做了次徒步旅行。
Jingjing: Ha ha. Why am I not surprised? Did you go to the same place as last time?
京晶:哈哈。果然不出我意料!你們還是去的上次那個地方嗎?
Mark: You know me. I love hiking. But, no, we tried another mountain. We didn't want to go very far, because of all the traffic.
馬克:你太了解我了。我非常喜歡徒步旅行。但,我們這次去了另一座山。我們不想去太遠的地方玩,因為十一期間交通太擁堵了。
Jingjing: Yeah, I know. I saw a video of someone who went on a scenic drive; but the only scenery he saw was a big traffic jam.
京晶:是啊,我了解的。我看過一個人拍的視頻,他自駕去景區玩,結果看到的風景只有嚴重的塞車。
Mark: Oh, was that the one where he said he'd rather be in his office?
馬克:哦,就是那個說出去玩還不如上班的人吧?
Jingjing: Yeah. Videos like that were reposted a lot during the holiday. Anyway, tell me more about your hike.
京晶:是的。假期里類似這樣的視頻都會被大量轉載。不說這個了,還是多跟我說說你們的徒步吧。
Mark: We got up to the top in two hours. It took us another hour to get down. So, we had plenty of time to eat.
馬克:我們不到兩個小時就登到了山頂。下山又用了一個小時。因此,我們有大把的時間來吃東西。
Jingjing: Did you have BBQ also?
京晶:你們也戶外燒烤了嗎?
Mark: Nah. There was a BBQ place, but it was too smoky, and had a big group that was making lots of noise. So, we went to a neighboring restaurant and had farm-fresh food.
馬克:沒有啦。那的確有一塊戶外燒烤區,但那里煙熏火燎的,還有一大群人,非常吵。所以我們去了一個附近的餐館吃了新鮮的農家菜。
Jingjing: Wait a second. What's the name of the mountain you climbed?
京晶:等一下。你們爬的那座山叫什么名字?
Mark: Pheonix Mountain—why?
馬克:鳳凰山,怎么了?
Jingjing: No way! That's where I was with my friends.
京晶:不會吧!那就是我跟我朋友們去的地方啊。
Mark: Huh? You were the group making so much noise?
馬克:啊?!那群吵吵鬧鬧的人原來是你們啊?
Jingjing: We were a bit noisy at times. You should have recognized me and come over to say hi.
京晶:我們是偶爾有點吵。早知道你要是能認出我來,然后過來跟我打聲招呼就好啦!
Mark: Sorry! My stomach was about to cave in.
馬克:不好意思啦!我當時肚子都快餓扁了。
Jingjing: No worries.
京晶:沒關系啦。
New words : 習語短語
Why am I not surprised? 果然不出我所料!我毫不意外
This is used to express that someone has done something they would usually do, and it is something that not everyone does.
reposted 轉發,轉載
when someone posts content on social media, but it is not what they created on their own
My stomach was about to cave in. 極其餓,肚子餓扁了
I was totally hungry.
n. 布景,風景,背景