I live in South Central. This is South Central: liquor stores, fast food, vacant lots.
我生活在洛杉磯南區。這就是洛杉磯南區:販酒店、快餐店、閑置的土地。
So the city planners, they get together and they figure they're going to change the name South Central to make it represent something else,
因此城市的規劃者他們坐在一起討論想把洛杉磯南區這個名字改的代表點別的什么含義,
so they change it to South Los Angeles, like this is going to fix what's really going wrong in the city.
所以他們把它改成了南洛杉磯,好像這將要解決這個城市真正的問題似的。
This is South Los Angeles. Liquor stores, fast food, vacant lots.
這是南洛杉磯。販酒店、快餐店、閑置的土地。
Just like 26.5 million other Americans, I live in a food desert, South Central Los Angeles, home of the drive-thru and the drive-by.
和其他兩千六百五十萬的美國人一樣,我生活在食物的荒漠,洛杉磯南區,是得來速(快餐商業模式,顧客不用下車即可獲得服務)和飛車的家園。
Funny thing is, the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys.
有趣的是得來速比飛車殺死的人更多。
People are dying from curable diseases in South Central Los Angeles.
在洛杉磯南區,人們死于可治愈的疾病。
For instance, the obesity rate in my neighborhood is five times higher than, say, Beverly Hills, which is probably eight, 10 miles away.
舉個例子,我所住的街區的肥胖率要比相距我們10英里不到的比佛利山莊高出5倍,也許是8倍。
I got tired of seeing this happening.
我厭倦了這些現實。
And I was wondering, how would you feel if you had no access to healthy food,
同時我在考慮,如果沒有途徑去得到健康的食物,你的感受是什么,
if every time you walk out your door you see the ill effects that the present food system has on your neighborhood?
如果每次你從家里出來,看到在你的社區現有的食物系統的不良影響,你的感受是什么?
I see wheelchairs bought and sold like used cars.
我看到輪椅像二手汽車一樣進行買賣。
I see dialysis centers popping up like Starbucks.
我看到透析中心像星巴克一樣不斷涌現。
And I figured, this has to stop.
我想不能再這樣下去了。
So I figured that the problem is the solution. Food is the problem and food is the solution.
我認為答案已經藏在問題之中。食物是問題,食物也是解決方案。
Plus I got tired of driving 45 minutes round trip to get an apple that wasn't impregnated with pesticides.
再加上我著實厭倦了開45分鐘的來回去買個沒打過殺蟲劑的蘋果。
So what I did, I planted a food forest in front of my house.
因此我做的,就是在我的房子前種上食物森林。
It was on a strip of land that we call a parkway.
它位于我們稱為公園路的綠化帶上。
It's 150 feet by 10 feet. Thing is, it's owned by the city. But you have to maintain it.
150英尺乘以10英尺大小。綠化帶歸政府所有。但是總需要有人維護它。
So I'm like, "Cool. I can do whatever the hell I want, since it's my responsibility and I gotta maintain it."
因此我覺得,“太好了!這是我的責任,我必須維護它,所以我想做什么就可以做什么了!”
This is how I decided to maintain it.
這是我為何要維護它的原因。