One of the really interesting things about the nicotine in cigarettes is that it works in two ways.
香煙中尼古丁的其中一個非常有趣的特質是,它以兩種完全不同的方式工作。
When you take a long drag, it acts as a tranquilizer, but when you inhale in short puffs, it acts as a stimulant.
如果你長期吸煙,那么它會起到鎮定劑的作用,但如果你只吸幾口,它只會成為興奮劑。
And one of the side-effects of stimulants is that they suppress the appetite.
而興奮劑的其中一個副作用則是抑制食欲。
Okay, so what is your point?
好了,你想說什么?
I'm just trying to sympathize with you by agreeing that the relationship between smoking and weight is tricky.
我只是有些同情你,我覺得吸煙和體重之間的關系是個騙局。
One of the most successful ad campaigns for cigarettes encouraged women to smoke instead of eat.
其中一個最成功的香煙廣告活動就是鼓勵女士們用吸煙代替吃飯。
And the fact is that cigarette smokers do weigh less on average than nonsmokers.
實際上,吸煙者通常的確比不抽煙的人體重要輕。
Research shows that quitting smoking can make you gain between five and twelve pounds.
調查發現,戒煙會導致體重增加五到十二磅。
Tell me about it.
洗耳恭聽。
But there are things you can do, you know?
但是你還可以做這些事情,你知道嗎?
譯文為可可英語翻譯,未經授權請勿轉載!