To celebrate his girlfriend's birthday, Luke Fortune drove from a small town in Central Oregon to Portland,
為了慶祝女友的生日,盧克·福瓊從俄勒岡州中部的一個小鎮開車前往波特蘭。
where he parked his car in a paid garage overnight.
夜里他花錢把車停在車庫。
The next morning, he discovered that the car's window had been smashed,
第二天早上,他發現汽車的窗戶碎了,
along with his dreams for the future: His backpack and computer were gone.
一起破碎的還有他對未來的夢想:他的背包和電腦也不見了。
"Everything important to me was on that computer," said Fortune, 21, who is studying to become a paramedic.
21歲的福瓊正在學習護理,他說:“對我來說,一切重要的東西都在那臺電腦上。”
"My classwork, every paper I’d written, and all the programs I needed for my paramedic tests.
“上面有我的功課,我的每一篇論文,還有護理人員測試所需的所有程序,
Every letter I was working on for job applications. I felt sick."
我的每一封求職信,我非常難過。”
If your laptop gets stolen, here's how you can protect your data from thieves.
如果你的筆記本電腦被偷了,以下是保護你的數據免于竊取的方法。
Two days after the theft, another young man was standing outside his apartment, also in Portland.
同樣是在波特蘭,盜竊發生兩天后,另一個年輕人站在公寓外。
Masoud Almazrouei, 2 9, was an exchange student from the United Arab Emirates.
29歲的Masoud Almazrouei是阿拉伯聯合酋長國的交換生。
He had been approached by a man who said he had a computer for sale. Only $200.
有個男人來找他,說他有一臺電腦要賣,只需200美元。
Almazrouei, who had been in the United States for only a year, admits now that he was naive.
Almazrouei只在美國待一年,現在承認自己很天真。
But he needed a computer, so he bought it, took it home, and turned it on.
但是他需要一臺電腦,所以他就買了一臺,帶回家然后打開。

Within seconds, he saw files and photographs.
幾秒鐘之內,他就看到了文件和照片。
"I wondered who would sell a computer with all of this on it," he said.
他說:“我在想,誰會賣一臺里面有這些文件的電腦呢?”
"I realized it could be stolen." Almazrouei found what appeared to be the owner's cell phone number and called it.
“我意識到這臺電腦可能是從別人那里偷的。”Almazrouei找到了疑似失主的手機號碼,并撥通了。
"This guy with a thick accent told me he had my computer," Fortune said.
福瓊說:“這個帶著濃重口音的家伙說他的電腦在我這里。”
"He told me the story and said it was his fault. I thought it was a scam.
“他將這個故事告訴我,說是他的錯,我以為那是一個騙局。
I told him if he really had the computer, he should take it to the police."
我告訴他,如果他真的有電腦,應該交給警察。”
Soon after, a police officer called Fortune to say that a man had dropped the computer off and had said he was sorry.
不久,一名警察打電話給福瓊,說有個人掉了臺電腦,并說他很抱歉。
He passed along the man's number.
福瓊撥通了那個人的電話。
Fortune called and thanked Almazrouei and insisted on paying him a reward of $200, the money he was out.
福瓊在電話里向Almazrouei表示感謝,并堅持要給他200美元作為報酬。
Almazrouei refused. He said it was his mistake to buy the computer from someone he didn't know.
Almazrouei拒絕了,他表示從陌生人那里買電腦是他的錯。
More important, he said, it was his honor and duty as a Muslim to return the property to the rightful owner.
更重要的是,身為一名穆斯林,將財產歸還給合法的物主是他的責任。
"I saw a photo of this man in his paramedic uniform," Almazrouei said. "They help people. He is a good man.
Almazrouei說:“我看到了這名男子身穿醫護服的照片,“他們幫助人們,他是個好人。