Dialogue 1
Mark: Jingjing, have you been seeing all the FIFA advertisements?
馬克:京晶,你有沒有看過 FIFA所有的廣告?
Jingjing: Yeah, I think a lot of companies in China are official sponsors. So I see the FIFA symbol everywhere. By the way, do you know what FIFA stands for?
京晶:有啊,我覺得很多中國的公司都是官方贊助商,所以我到處都看見FIFA的標志。對了,你知道FIFA代表什么嗎?
Mark: You got me. Do you know?
馬克:你問住我了。那你知道嗎?
Jingjing: Yeah, but I just looked it up: Fédération Internationale de Football Association.
京晶:對,可是我剛才查到的,全名是國際足球聯合會。
Mark: That sounds French.
馬克:聽起來很像法語呢。
Jingjing: It is. But the organization has its headquarters in Zürich. Go figure, right?
京晶:對。其實它的總部是在蘇黎世。很奇怪,是吧?
Mark: And FIFA is hosted in Russia this year. I just saw the mascot for the first time the other day.
馬克:還有今年的FIFA在俄羅斯舉辦。 有一天我第一次看見這次比賽的吉祥物了。
Jingjing: Oh, really? What's it look like?
京晶:噢,真的嗎?它是什么樣子的?
Mark: It's a wolf.
馬克:是一只狼。
Jingjing: I'm surprised it's not a bear.
京晶:很驚訝竟然不是熊。
Mark: Yeah, they went with a wolf. The other ideas were a tiger and a cat. Those were the designs that made it to the final decision. A student won the design contest.
馬克:是的,他們最后選擇了狼。另外兩個想法是一只老虎和一只貓,這些都是進入最后定稿的設計。一名學生贏得了這個吉祥物設計比賽。
Jingjing: Oh, I thought it might be because a bear was used by another country in a previous year.
京晶:噢,我還以為是熊,因為之前另外一個國家用了熊。
Mark: That makes sense. But England and Germany used a lion for their mascot, when they were the hosts in different years.
馬克:有道理,可英國和德國在不同的年份舉辦時都用了一只獅子來做吉祥物。
Jingjing: Was it the same lion?
京晶:是同一只獅子嗎?
Mark: I've reached the limit of my knowledge there. But can you guess what colors the wolf is wearing for FIFA 2018?
馬克:那我就不知道了。可是你能猜猜今年FIFA的狼穿什么顏色衣服嗎?
Jingjing: That's an easy one: white, blue and red—just like the Russian flag.
京晶:當然知道了,是白色,藍色和紅色,跟俄羅斯的國旗一樣顏色。
Mark: You got it! Look out for the wolf with those colors and a pair of orange sunglasses.
馬克:對了!特別留意一下帶有那些顏色的狼和橙色的太陽鏡。
New words: 習語短語
sponsors 贊助
companies that support a major event, such as a football tournament
stands for 代表
the words in an abbreviation (MIT stands for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
headquarters 總部
the main office of a company or organization
Go figure 奇怪了
said when something is a little weird and can't be explained (I got up earlier than usual this morning but was late for work. Go figure.)
mascot 吉祥物
an animal, person or thing that,used as a symbol for a sports team or another group, to bring good luck
Dialogue 2
Mark: Jingjing, what's that you're humming?
馬克:京晶,你在哼什么呀?
Jingjing: Oh, that's the FIFA song. It got stuck in my head.
京晶:噢,那是FIFA的主題曲。已經在我腦海里單曲循環了。
Mark: FIFA has an official song? I haven't heard it yet.
馬克:FIFA 有主題曲的嗎?我還沒聽到過呢。
Jingjing: Well, you know, every four years there's a song recorded especially for FIFA.
京晶:對的,每四年就有一首專門為FIFA錄制的歌曲。
Mark: I remember four years ago, there was one by Pitbull, featuring Jennifer Lopez.
馬克:我記得四年前就有一首是皮普保羅唱的,還有珍妮弗·洛佩茲客串。
Jingjing: Don't hum it! That'll get stuck in my head too!
京晶:別再哼哼了!一會兒又一直在我腦海里單曲循環了!
Mark: OK, OK. So tell me, who sings the song for 2018?
馬克:好好。那告訴我,2018年的主題曲是誰唱的?
Jingjing: Nicky Jam. Will Smith and Era Istrefi sing bits of it.
京晶:尼基·詹姆,還有史密斯和Era Istrefi也唱了一點。
Mark: I know the first two, but who is the third artist?
馬克:我知道前兩位,可是第三個是誰?
Jingjing: She's from Kosovo, and has been internationally famous for a couple years now. She sings in Albanian and English.
京晶:她是來自科索沃的歌手,近幾年來一直在國際上享有盛名。她用阿爾巴尼亞語和英語唱歌。
Mark: I'll have to look up her music.
馬克:我得找點她的音樂來聽聽。
Jingjing: She sounds like a cross between Nelly Furtado and Rihanna.
京晶:她的聲音有妮莉·費塔朵和蕾哈娜的特點。
Mark: That'd sound great. I like both of those artists.
馬克:聽起來很不錯。 我很喜歡這兩位歌手呢。
Jingjing: And her songs are pretty well produced. They pop, but sound original.
京晶:而且她的歌曲制作得相當好。流行味足,但聽起來又很原創。
Mark: OK, sold. I'll be looking for free streams of her songs next time I go online.
馬克:行!那我下次上網時找一下她的免費歌曲來聽聽吧。
Jingjing: Hey, how did we stray so far from football. We still haven't talked about all those handsome, sweaty guys.
京晶:嘿,怎么話題已經偏離足球那么遠了呢。我們還沒有談到那些帥氣的,大汗淋漓的球員呢!
Mark: Um, maybe next time.
馬克:可能下次吧!
Jingjing: Haha, OK.
京晶:哈哈,好!
New words: 習語短語
including, showing (this artist/actor performs for a short time, but can be seen well)
C a cross between A and B 兼具A和B的特色
C has mostly the characteristics of A and B.
pop (verb) 有吸引力的,有流行特質的
be attractive, catch people's attention, be easily remembered (to describe logos and songs)
stray from sth 跑題
get away from the topic we were talking about earlier