Think back to the last time you had a feeling-all-the-feels moment.
回想一下你上次有感覺的時刻。
Maybe it was when you finished reading this really great book about, I don't know,
我不太清楚,也許是當你讀完這本好書的時候,
two teenagers with cancer who fall in love, and it basically ripped your heart out and what?
兩個患有癌癥的少年少女相愛了,這個故事讓你心碎?
I'm not sobbing, you're sobbing!
我沒在哭泣,你在哭泣!
Or maybe it was when you got engaged, or that day when everything went wrong.
或者是你訂婚的時候,又或者是某天一切都不對勁的時候。
Whatever it was, it gave you some really strong feelings.
不管是什么時刻,它都讓你產生了一些非常強烈的感覺。
But how did you know what you were feeling?
但是你如何知道自己是什么感受的呢?
Feeling that something is hot or cold or a soft, fluffy kitty makes intuitive sense.
感受熱東西、冷東西或柔軟且毛茸茸的貓咪時會產生直觀感覺。
You're touching a physical thing, and it's going to feel a particular way.
你在觸摸一件物品時,會有一種特別的感覺。
But emotions are way less straightforward. So where do they come from?
但是,情緒并不那么直接。那么它們來自于哪里呢?
Let's just say that psychologists have all the feels about that one.
我們先假設心理學家對這一點深諳于心
Even defining emotion is tricky.
定義情緒很棘手。
Like, we all know that cold is a feeling and that it isn't an emotion the way sadness is,
比如,我們都知道寒冷是一種感覺,而且它不是和悲傷一樣的情緒,
but it's hard to explain the difference.
但我們很難解釋它們之間的差別。
So one of the things psychologists have tried to do is identify a few key parts of experiencing emotion.
所以心理學家們試圖做的一件事是確定體驗情緒的幾個關鍵部分。
There's obviously the part where you feel, along with a cognitive piece, which involves being aware of the feeling.
很明顯,這幾個關鍵部分包括你感覺的來源以及認知部分,這涉及到察覺感覺。
There's also something motivational,
它還包括動機,
like when fear makes you want to run away from the giant hairy spider in your basement as fast as your legs will carry you.
比如,當恐懼驅使你想要逃離地下室多毛的大蜘蛛時,你的腿會帶著你盡快逃跑。
Then there's a physiological response, like the racing heart and sweaty palms that accompanies said fear.
還包括生理反應,比如伴隨恐懼發生的心跳加速和手掌出汗。
And there's a motor response, say, when you do actually hightail it out of there.
還有運動反應,比如,你真得逃離了那里。
The debate is really about which of these components are part of the emotion itself
人們爭論的是這些因素哪些是情緒本身,
and which are a cause of it or a consequence of it.
哪些是情緒成因或是它的結果。
It's kind of a chicken-and-the-egg situation.
這有點兒像先有雞還是先有蛋的情況。
What causes what, and is there an order in which things happen?
什么導致了什么,事情的發生有順序嗎?
Over the years, psychologists have come up with a bunch of different theories about this.
多年來,心理學家們提出了許多不同的理論。
The James-Lange theory, proposed in the late 19th century,
蘭格情緒理論是在19世紀晚期提出的,
says that a physiological response happens when you perceive something,
它的觀點是當你察覺到某物時,會發生一種生理反應,
and the emotion is your reaction to that response.
情緒是你對這種反應的回應。
So it's not that you cry because you're sad, you're sad because you cry.
所以不是因為傷心而哭泣,而是因為哭泣而傷心。
This is actually pretty similar to a more recent theory, known as the facial feedback theory.
它其實上和最近的一種理論很相似,即面部反饋理論。
It argues that the way you're holding your facial muscles when you make facial expressions
它認為當你做面部表情時,你保持面部肌肉的方式
can actually cause you to feel emotions more strongly.
能讓你更強烈地感受情緒。
But … there were a lot of criticisms of the James-Lange theory.
但是,很多人批評蘭格情緒理論。
The biggest problem was that particular physical responses don't always indicate the same emotions.
它最大的問題是,特定的身體反應并不總是表現出同樣的情緒。
You can tremble from fear, sure, but also from rage or from cold.
你當然可以因恐懼顫抖,但也可以因憤怒或寒冷顫抖。
So how do you tell which emotion is supposed to come from the physical response?
那么,你如何判斷哪些情緒應該來自于身體反應呢?
Maybe you're really just super angry at that spider.
也許你只是真得對那只蜘蛛非常生氣。

The Cannon-Bard theory, which was proposed in the 1920s, was pretty much a rebuttal to James-Lange.
20世紀20年代提出的巴德情緒理論,基本上是對蘭格情緒理論的反駁。
It argues that emotional responses are too fast to be the result of a physical reaction that happens first.
它認為,情緒反應太快,不可能是先發生的生理反應的結果。
Instead, it suggested that the physical response and subjective experience of emotion happen in parallel, at the same time.
相反,它暗示生理反應和情感的主觀體驗是同時發生的。
When you first see the spider crawling out from the corner,
當你第一次看到蜘蛛從角落里爬出來的時候,
sensory information about the encounter arrives at your thalamus,
遇到蜘蛛的感覺信息傳到你的丘腦,
a region of the brain involved in coordinating signals.
即大腦中負責協調信號的區域。
Then, the thalamus sends out a signal to your peripheral nervous system
然后,丘腦向周圍的神經系統發出信號
that triggers all the physical stuff and also sends the signal that triggers all the feels.
這會觸發所有的物理物質,也會發出觸發所有感覺的信號。
That would explain why the physical response happens at the same time as you feel the emotion.
這就解釋了為什么你在感受情緒時,也會有生理反應。
And if they're separate signals,
如果它們是單獨的信號,
it would also explain why trembling when you're cold doesn't necessarily make you afraid.
也可以解釋為什么你感覺冷時的發抖并不一意味著你害怕。
But neither of those ideas, that emotions follow a physical response, or that they happen in parallel,
但這些觀點,即情緒跟隨生理反應發生,或者它們同時發生,
say anything about how your actual thoughts play into all this.
都不能說明你的真實想法是如何發揮作用的。
That's where the two-factor theory of emotion comes in, also known as the Schachter-Singer theory,
這就是情緒二因論的來由,它也被稱為“斯辛二氏情緒論”,
after the researchers who first proposed it in the 1960s.
研究人員在20世紀60年代首次提出了這一觀點。
The idea is that we use circumstances to attribute our physical reactions to certain emotions.
它是指我們利用環境來將我們的身體反應歸因于某些情緒。
Those are the two factors: your physical response and how you label it.
它有兩個因素:你的生理反應和你如何定義它。
If your heart's pounding and that spider's ominously crawling towards you, you know to interpret that as fear.
如果你的心砰砰亂跳,而那只蜘蛛正有預兆地向你爬來,你就會把它解釋為恐懼。
But if you're heart's pounding because you've just been to the gym
但是如果你心跳加速是因為你剛剛去了健身房
and there's no spider, then you're probably good. No fear necessary.
并且那里沒有蜘蛛,那么你可能會感覺良好。沒必要擔心。
To put their theory to the test, the researchers injected people with adrenaline,
為了測試理論,研究人員給受試者注射了腎上腺素,
then put them in situations that were either supposed to make them laugh or make them feel super frustrated and angry.
然后讓他們置身于那些本該讓他們大笑或者感到非常沮喪和生氣的情景下。
Subjects who knew that the adrenaline would give them a racing heart and sweaty palms didn't report feeling any emotion,
那些知道腎上腺素會讓他們心跳加速、手心出汗的受試者報告沒有感覺到任何情緒,
because they blamed their reaction on the drug.
因為他們把自己的反應歸咎于藥物。
But if they didn't know, they attributed feeling all jumpy to the situation they were put in,
但是如果他們不知道,他們會把自己的感覺與其被放入的情境聯系起來,
hilarious or upsetting, and reported feeling real emotions associated with those scenarios.
大笑或沮喪,并報告感覺到與這些情境相關的真實情緒。
In the decades since Schachter and Singer first proposed their idea,
在沙赫特和辛格首次提出他們想法之后的幾十年里,
researchers have come up with other cognitive theories of emotion, too.
研究人員也提出了其他的情緒認知理論。
Some of them aren't as focused on interpreting a physiological response.
它們中的一些理論并沒有把注意力集中在解釋生理反應上。
Instead, they argue that your emotions depend on what you think the impact of a situation will be.
相反,它們認為情緒取決于你以為的環境影響力。
For example, you might get angry when you judge that you've been treated unfairly.
例如,當你判斷自己受到不公平待遇時,你可能會生氣。
So, there are lots of different theories for how our emotions work.
所以,我們的情緒如何運作有很多不同的理論。
But it's hard to know whether any of them can fully explain how and why we feel the things we do.
但我們很難知道,它們中是否有能完全解釋我們如何以及為什么感受事物的理論。
Emotions are just…messy, and whatever objective measures of emotion you might want to use in experiments,
情緒是……混亂的,不管你想用什么客觀方法來做實驗,
like heart rate, don't always line up with what someone's actually feeling.
比如心率,都不能完全符合某人的真實感受。
But the next time you run into that spider in your basement,
但你下次在地下室遇到蜘蛛時,
at least you'll have some idea of how your feelings might be connected to your physical response and cognition.
至少會知道你的感受如何與身體反應和認知聯系。
Something to think about while you're running back up the stairs.
這是你在跑回樓梯上想到的事。
Thanks for watching this episode of SciShow Psych!
感謝您收看本期的心理科學秀!
If you're interested in learning more about the mixups that can happen when you feel emotions,
如果你有興趣了解更多關于感受情緒時的混亂,
you can check out our episode about how you can sometimes mistake fear for love.
可以查看那期“你如何錯把恐懼當成愛的”視頻。