We are all concerned with things that we see in the world that we are aware of.
我們總是在意這世界上我們所感知的事物。
We come to this point and say, what do I as an individual do?
我們對自己說:我能做什么?
Not all of us can go to Africa, or work at hospitals, so what do we do, if we have this moral response, this feeling?
不是每個人都可以去非洲或是在醫院工作,我又該如何處理我里面的這個道德感?
Also, I think one of the biggest things we are all looking at, and we talked about today, is genocide. This leads to this question.
我想今日的一個重要議題是種族滅絕,我們再次回到同樣的問題。
When I look at all these things that are morally ambiguous and uncomfortable,
當我遇見這些在道德上模棱兩可,讓我感覺不舒服的事件,
and I consider what my intentions should be, I realize it goes back to this identity question that I had when I was a child
我的心態又是如何,我意識到這讓我再次回到孩提時所遇見的身份認知議題,
and why am I here, and what is the meaning of my life, and what is my place in the universe?
為什么我在這里,人生的意義時什么,我在宇宙間的位置是什么?
It seems so obvious, and yet it is not.
這看起來似乎很明顯,但一點也不。
We all hate moral ambiguity in some sense, and yet it is also absolutely necessary.
我們都不喜歡道德上的不確定性,但這種不確定感確是絕對必要的。
In writing a story, it is the place where I begin.
在我寫作的時候,這便是我開始的地方。
Sometimes I get help from the universe, it seems.
有時看上去似乎我受到宇宙的幫助。
My mother would say it was the ghost of my grandmother from the very first book,
我母親說從第一本開始,靈感就來自我祖母的鬼魂,
because it seemed I knew things I was not supposed to know.
因為我似乎知道許多我不應該知道的事。
Instead of writing that the grandmother died accidentally, from an overdose of opium, while having too much of a good time,
我沒有描寫我的祖母是因為吃了過量的鴉片而意外過世的,
I actually put down in the story that the woman killed herself,
而在故事里描寫那女人自殺了,
and that actually was the way it happened.
那卻是我本來不知道的事實。
And my mother decided that that information must have come from my grandmother.
我母親認為這些資訊一定來自我祖母的鬼魂。