A hostess, "hostess," is the woman, in this case, in a restaurant
一個女領位,在這種場合下,在餐館中,“女領位”是一個女人,
that says hello to you when you come in the restaurant - that greets you,
當你來餐廳時,向你問好的,
and she asks how many people are in your party,
她問你們有多少人用餐,
meaning how big is your group - how many people are in your group,
意思是你們這些人有多少——你們有多少人?
and then she takes you to a table.
然后她領你們去一張桌子。
The male version of this would be a host, "host."
如果是男士,那就是“男領位”。
So, a hostess is always a woman and host is a man.
所以,女領位永遠是女人,男領位是男人。
In very expensive restaurants - in what we would call fancy restaurants,
在非常昂貴的餐館里——我們稱之為高檔餐廳,
restaurants where you have to dress very nicely and you pay a lot of money for your food,
來這種餐廳,你必須穿得很漂亮,而且你要為你的食物花上大價錢,
they sometimes have what's called the maitre d', a maitre d',
有時候他們有所謂的領班,“領班”,
which is the person that takes reservations and shows you to your table.
那個人會(幫你)預訂座位并帶你來到你的桌邊。