Dialogue 1
Mark: What have you been up to, Jingjing?
馬克:最近忙什么呢,京晶?
Jingjing: Things have been a little hectic at work.
京晶:最近有點忙亂。
Mark: I'm sure you can manage. Anyway, there are just a few weeks before the holiday. Would you like a snack? I ordered these online and haven't tried them yet.
馬克:我相信你能搞定呢。對了,還有幾周就是假期了,你想來點零食嗎?我在網上訂了一些,不過還沒試吃。
Jingjing: So, you want me to be your guinea pig? Let me see.
京晶:所以你想讓我當你的豚鼠(試驗對象)?給我看看
Mark: You can read more of the Chinese words on the packaging than I can. I just know that 辣條 means spicy stick.
馬克:你比我更能讀懂更多包裝上的英文。我就只知道“辣條”的意思是很辣的小棍。
Jingjing: Haven't you seen the videos about this?
京晶:你沒看過這些東西的視頻嗎?
Mark: There are lots of videos about snack food. They kind of run together after a while.
馬克:有很多關于零食的視頻??匆粫哼^后它們就混到一塊兒分不清了。(看上去雷同)
Jingjing: You'd remember these videos. Anyway, these snacks are so spicy that your mouth hurts for half an hour after eating one.
京晶:你得記住這些視頻。對了,這些零食特別辣,以致于吃一個之后你的嘴能疼半小時。
Mark: Well, that doesn't sound very appetizing.
馬克:這聽著好像不怎么有食欲啊。
Jingjing: Actually, the ones you have here aren't the spiciest. There are several levels, up to toxic—or crazy spicy.
京晶:事實上,你手頭的這款不是最辣的。有好幾個辣的檔次,最高是毒辣或者變態辣。
Mark: Sorry, Jingjing. I wasn't trying to trick you.
馬克:不好意思,京晶。我沒想著要捉弄你的。
Jingjing: That's ok. I'd be glad to try one of these, but I usually avoid spicy food.
京晶:沒事的。我也很高興能嘗試其中一款,不過我通常是避免吃辣的。
Mark: Well, since I accepted the package on my way out of the house today, I'm eager to see what they taste like.
馬克:那,既然我今天在出門時收到了包裹,我迫不及待想嘗一嘗它們到底是什么個味道。
Jingjing: Why don't you take one of these white chocolates as a backup. After you've tried the spicy stick, white chocolate can help soothe your taste buds.
京晶:你為什么不帶上這些白巧克力以防萬一呢. 你試過辣條以后,白巧克力會幫助安撫你的味蕾。
Mark: That's cool. Thanks, Jingjing. Well, here goes.
馬克:這法子不錯。謝謝京晶。那就來一條了。
Jingjing: How is it?
京晶:怎么樣?
Mark: It's spicy, but not too spicy. Now I'm curious about the super spicy ones.
馬克:是辣的,但沒有太辣。現在我特別好奇那種超級辣的是什么味道呢。
Jingjing: Suit yourself. It's better to stick with real food, in my opinion.
京晶:隨你便吧。我覺得,最好還是吃能填飽肚子的食物吧。
New words: 習語短語
hectic 紛繁忙亂的,頭緒多的,壓力大的
busy, a little stressful
you can manage 你能搞定,能做好
you'll do well and be fine
guinea pig 豚鼠(試驗品)
someone who tries something before others, as in an experiment
run together 看著雷同
seem very similar, after too many are seen
appetizing 開胃的
seem tasty
a backup 備案
something available after the first one has been used
taste buds 味蕾
small parts of the tongue that let you know if your food is salty or sweet
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: How goes it this week, Mark?
京晶:這周過得怎么樣,馬克?
Mark: Pretty good. Hey, I saw a few of those videos about people eating super spicy sticks.
馬克:還不錯呢。我看了一些人們吃超級辣辣條的視頻。
Jingjing: Were they funny?
京晶:好玩嗎?好笑嗎?
Mark: I guess, in a viral video sort of way. Each one of those videos just shows someone taking a bite of a spicy stick and then reacting to how spicy it was.
馬克:從流行性視頻的角度來看,每一個都表現了某個人稍微嘗了一口辣條,然后對有多辣做出反應。
Jingjing: There's one I saw of a foreigner who speaks fluent Chinese.
京晶:我看到一個是一個中文特別溜的老外。
Mark: Yeah, I saw one too. I could understand most of what he was saying. If it were me, and I ate something that was way too spicy, I'd probably forget to speak Chinese and go back to English.
馬克:是呢,我也看到一個。我能明白大部分他說的。如果是我吃了太辣的東西,我可能會忘記說中文直接跳回英文了。
Jingjing: Ha ha. It's a bit to maintain, if you're showing your reaction to something that was crazy spicy.
京晶:哈哈。有點裝,如果你在表現你吃了某種變態辣的東西后的反應是這樣的話。
Mark: I know, right? If it's really beyond what you can bear, how can you keep your selfie stick steady?
馬克:我知道,可不是嗎?如果真的超越了你的承受力。你怎么能還保持著你的自拍桿兒那么穩呢?
Jingjing: And, if it's not so bad that you lose control, it's no big deal. Is that it?
京晶:而且,如果你就算是失控了也沒什么大不了的,對嗎?
Mark: Hmm, I guess I'd rather see real suffering on a video, not fake suffering.
馬克:我倒是寧愿看一些真實的苦不堪言,而不是演的。
Jingjing: Look at how desensitized you are because of internet content.
京晶:你看看這些網絡的東西讓你有多脫敏。
Mark: It does take a lot to shock me.
馬克:確實也讓我非常震驚。
Jingjing: So, you're convinced that the spiciest of the spicy sticks is not too big of a deal?
京晶:所以,你被說服了(相信了)就算是是超級辣的辣條其實也不算個什么事兒?
Mark: Well, it doesn't look like that much fun.
馬克:看上去不是那么好玩嘛
Jingjing: And, it's probably too late for you to make your own video about it. The fad is going to be over soon.
京晶:也是你再做一個自己的視頻的話可能有點晚了。這股熱潮就快過去了。
Mark: I'll use my pocket money to satisfy my sweet tooth. That reminds me, do you have any more of those chocolates?
馬克:我要用我的零花錢來滿足我的甜口,這提醒了我,那些巧克力你還有嗎?
Jingjing: Here, help yourself.
京晶:這兒,自己拿。
New words: 習語短語
in a ... sort of way
(qualified judgement, not what you'd usually hope for after hearing the adjective) She looks beautiful, in a Meryl Streep sort of way. He's nice, in a Dustin Hoffman sort of way. Their new house was well-decorated, in a hotel sort of way.
desensitized 使……不敏感
accustomed to seeing violence or exciting content, so that it no longer has much effect