In desperation, Andrew called for help
絕望之中,安德魯求助他人。
He invited his former student Richard Taylor to work with him in Princeton, but no solution came.
他邀請他的前學生理查德·泰勒來和他在普林斯頓進行研究,但沒有解決問題。
after a year of failure, Andrew was ready to abandon his flawed proof.
經過一年的的失敗,安德魯準備要放棄他那有缺陷的證明。
In September, I decided to go back and look one more time at the original structure of Flach and Kolyvagin
九月份,我決定回去再看多一次弗拉赫和科里瓦金的結構
to try and pinpoint exactly why it wasn't working, try and formulate it precisely.
力圖搞清楚究竟是怎么運作的,嘗試要精確地用公式表達。
One can never really do that in mathematics
在數學當中是不可能那么做的,
but I just wanted to set my mind at rest that it really couldn't be made to work.
但我只是想讓我的頭腦接受,那確實是怎么也行不通了。
And I was sitting here at this desk.
我就坐在這張書桌這兒。
It was a Monday morning, September 19th and I was trying convincing myself that it didn't work,
那是星期一的早晨,9月19日,試著讓自己確信那是不可行的,
just seeing exactly what the problem was when suddenly,
只是要確切了解癥結在哪里,突然間
totally unexpectedly, I had this incredible revelation.
完全出乎意料地,我得到了這令人難以置信的啟示。
I realised what was holding me up was exactly what would resolve the problem
我意識到讓我停駐的正是可以解決問題的
I'd had in my Iwasawa theory attempt three years earlier.
我三年前就應該將伊娃沙娃理論的嘗試進行到底的。
It was the most important moment of my working life.
那是我工作生涯中最重要的時刻。