I saw Barry Mazur on the campus and I said let's go for a cup of coffee
我在校園里看到巴里·梅休爾,就說一起去喝杯咖啡吧,
and we sat down for cappuccinos at this cafe and I looked at Barry and I said you know,
我們在這間咖啡廳里喝卡布其諾,我望著巴里說,要知道,
I'm trying to generalise what I've done so that we can prove the full strength of Serre's epsillon conjecture.
我正試著將我所做的歸納起來,這樣我們就可以證明塞爾(法國數學家)之Epsillon猜想的全部力量。
Barry looked at me and said well you've done it already,
巴里看著我說,這你已經做到了,
all you have to do is add on some extra gamma zero of m structure
你所要做的就是在M結構的基礎上加些灰度系數
and run through your argument and it still works, and that gives everything you need,
然后重新運算你的論點,如果仍有效,就可給你所需的一切,
and this had never occurred to me as simple as it sounds.
而這聽上去如此簡單的觀點我還從未能想到。
I looked at Barry, I looked to my cappuccino,
我看了看巴里,看了看我的卡布其諾,
I looked back at Barry and said my God, you're absolutely right.
再看向巴里說,天哪,你完全正確。
Ken's ideas was brilliant!
肯·里比特的想法太棒了!
I was at a friend's house sipping iced tea early in the evening
在傍晚時分我正在一個朋友家里喝冰茶,
and he just mentioned casually in the middle of a conversation:
在我們的談話當中他隨意提到:
by the way, do you hear that Ken has proved the epsilon conjecture?
順便問問,你聽說了肯已經證明了ε-猜想嗎?
And I was just electrified. I knew that moment the course of my life was changing
我如遭電擊。我當時就意識到我這一生發(fā)生了轉變
because this meant that to prove Fermat's last theorem, I just had to prove Taniyama-Shimura conjecture.
因為這意味著要證明費馬最后定理,我只需要證明谷山-志村猜想。
From that moment that was what I was working on.
就從那一刻起那即為我鉆研的對象。
I just knew I would go home and work on the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture.
我只知道我要回家著手攻克谷山-志村猜想。