Dialogue 1
Mark and Jingjing meet for lunch.
馬克和京晶約吃午餐
Mark: How goes it, Jingjing?
馬克:最近怎樣?
Jingjing: I'm doing pretty well. It sounds like you've caught a cold, though.
京晶:我還不錯。倒是你聽聲音好像感冒了。
Mark: It's not bad—not yet, anyway. I've been fighting it off for the past several days.
馬克:不嚴重—不過還沒發展得嚴重起來。我最近這幾天一直在跟感冒奮戰。
Jingjing: Well, it's good that the heat's finally on. Now you'll have a chance to get clear of it.
京晶:暖氣終于來了,真好。現在你有機會好起來了。
Mark: Yeah, I hope so. It's been a cold autumn, but that much more beautiful.
馬克:我也希望如此。這個秋天真冷,倒也比以往漂亮許多。
Jingjing: It sure has. I've been enjoying all the colors of the season.
京晶:確實如此。我一直很享受這季節的繽紛。
Mark: I don't mind the cold, and I don't get sick easily. But lots of people around me are sniffing and sneezing.
馬克:我倒是不介意這冷,而且我也不容易生病。但是我周圍的許多人都在抽鼻子和打噴嚏。
Jingjing: It's no surprise you're coming down with it a bit. I hope you avoid getting really sick.
京晶:所以你也輕微地病點兒就不奇怪了。希望你盡量不要讓病變得嚴重起來。
Mark: I bet I'll be fine in a few more days. Say, all this time I've known you, I haven't seen you get sick. What's your secret?
馬克:我相信我幾天后肯定能好。就說吧,我認識你這么長時間以來,就沒見你病過,有什么秘訣?
Jingjing: Well, as you know, I make sure to keep warm, and I get plenty of exercise.
京晶:嗯,就像你知道的,我很注意保暖,而且我經常運動。
Mark: That's good. Do you have any special tips?
馬克:真好!有什么特別的小招兒嗎?
Jingjing: Hmm, another obvious one: wear a mask when you're on the subway. Being close to so many people—it's not good to be exposed to so many germs.
京晶:嗯,說一個很明顯的吧,當你坐地鐵的時候帶個口罩。和人群近距離接觸時,暴露在許多細菌中并不好。
Mark: Right. I've heard people say that. I wear a mask (indoors) when I'm a little sick, to prevent other people from catching what I've got. But I always forget to put my mask on to protect myself.
馬克:對。我也聽人這么說過。我有些不舒服的時候就會帶個口罩(在室內)以防別人被我傳染了。但是我總是忘記帶上口罩保護自己。
Jingjing: See, it's the stuff everybody knows but doesn't do. It's easy to avoid getting common illnesses, just using common knowledge.
京晶:這就是那些人們都知道就是不去做的事。僅用常識就可以避免許多普通小病。
Mark: I guess so. Hey, thanks for making me feel guilty about coming down with the common cold!
馬克:我想是這樣的。嘿,謝謝你讓我因為普通感冒倒下而充滿負罪感。
Jingjing: My pleasure! Umm, I'm going wash my hands. When I come back, if you have a health tip I haven't heard about, lunch is on me.
京晶:不客氣!我現在去洗手。我回來的時候,如果你告訴我一個我沒聽過的健康小招兒,那午飯就我請了。
Mark: OK.
馬克:行!
New words: 習語短語
Fight (something) off 抵抗,抵御
resist something
Get clear of (something) 逃離,脫離
Escape something
Coming down with (something) 病倒了
Getting sick 生病了
getting a particular illness (especially a common and contagious illness)
Germs 細菌
viral and bacterial pathogens
What I've got 我得了……病
the particular illness I have, what I'm carrying and could pass on to others
Dialogue 2
a little later
過了一會兒
Jingjing: Well, did you think of something?
京晶:怎么樣,想到什么了嗎?
Mark: Sure. My mom did this thing called "the wet sock treatment" when I was a kid. After I grew up, I tried it myself a few more times.
馬克:當然。但我小的時候,我媽媽做過一種叫做“濕襪子療法”的東西。長大后,我自己也試過好多次。
Jingjing: I have no idea what that is, from the name. Tell me about it.
京晶:從名字上聽,完全不知道那是什么,說說。
Mark: Ok, say you're feeling a cold coming on, or maybe even the flu.
馬克:好吧,比如你感覺開始感冒了,或者是得了流感什么的。
Jingjing: Yeah, and?
京晶:嗯?然后呢?
Mark: And you start with a pair of wet socks. Put them on right before you get into bed.
馬克:就從準備一雙濕襪子開始,上床鉆入被窩前立即穿上。
Jingjing: Doesn't that just make your bed wet?
京晶:那不就把床弄濕了嗎?
Mark: Use a thin pair, and get those wet. They should be soaking wet when you put them on. Then put a dry pair over those—dry wool socks, if you have them.
馬克:用一雙薄襪,打濕,當你穿上它們的時候必須是濕透的。然后在外面再套上一雙干襪子—干的羊毛襪,如果你有的話。
Jingjing: OK. Then you go to sleep with wet feet but not with wet sheets, at least.
京晶:好。這樣的話,你穿著濕襪子睡覺,至少不是睡在濕床單上。
Mark: Yeah. So, your body is a little more active as you fall asleep, keeping you warm to get your feet dry. If your body activity remains constant, the extra energy can be used to fight germs.
馬克:是的。當你入睡時,你的身體會變得更加活躍,產生熱量來弄干你的腳。如果你的身體持續做功,多余的能量就會用來和入侵身體的細菌開戰。
Jingjing: I guess that could work. It's not the kind of thing I'd want to try if I'm already feeling under the weather, though.
京晶:我想這法子可能還真管用。不過,我要是病了我可不會想要試這種方法。
Mark: It's not an easy sell. But I've tried it enough times to know it works.
馬克:不容易被接受。但是我試過好幾次,知道它管用。
Jingjing: Can I use warm water?
京晶:我可以用熱水嗎?
Mark: It's best to use cold water. Sorry it doesn't sound like much fun. If you ever try it, let me know if it works for you.
馬克:最好是涼水。抱歉聽上去不太有意思。如果你想試,告訴我有沒有用。
Jingjing: OK. I might give it a whirl.
京晶:好,我還真可能試一試。
New words: 習語短語
(Something) coming on 病開始加重了
an illness starting to worsen, also "I feel a headache coming on."
Easy sell 輕易接受,輕易同意
something you already agree with, or would agree with easily
Give it a whirl 嘗試一下
try something, without taking it too seriously